A1/3 Allocations at "Top Shed" and others

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A1/3 Allocations at "Top Shed" and others

Post by Hatfield Shed »

NZRedBaron wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:44 am So, on the subject, I found that Grantham is geographically quite close to where Trenholme Junction would be (certainly closer than King's Cross, Doncaster or Gorton), and now I feel erked about no one actually mentioned these facts.
Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:55 pm ... adding a new RA9 route and the requirement for pacific power on some services on that route is a fiction...
If you are going to complain about your own fictional location's proximity to other real locations, and cannot be bothered to look at a map, I suggest you have only yourself to be irked at!

In reality, KX, Grantham, Doncaster lie on the ex-GNR main line, where the RA9 power operated; and none of the routes to Kings Lynn were RA9, so no pacifics there.

In your fiction, with an RA9 route from Cambridge to Kings Lynn, including your 'Trenholme Junction'; Kings Cross is the 'closest' of the four real locations you named, as it alone has a direct RA9 path there. You need yet more route upgrades to offer a shorter RA9 route from the physically closer Grantham.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi 69530 have to agree on the A4's "Willie"was a rarity the other two appeared quite often, the named V2's came down quite regularly I thought & always saw those "up" light engine, maybe Grantham/Doncaster sent them up& 60800 Green Arrow was a 34A engine and kept spotless being treated as an equal for rostering alongwith the A1 or A3 on fast fitted freights(yeah I know A4's on the afternoon "Scotch".Scottish A1&A3 turned up sometimes, but never those elusive "canal" members to my knowledge.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

So, atm I can see three Hornby A1 models for sale on Ebay; one of Woolwinder, the Doncaster I've mentioned before, and a new one of Flying Fox (R2549). All three look very tempting; either as themselves, or in the case of Doncaster for potential renaming and renumbering.

Which would you argue for?
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Rockingjohn

There is a photo taken by John Alyard(sp?) of 68 at Hadley Wood on the goods in( I think) East Coast main line or East Coast from KX

A Certain Ian MacCabe of this parish was on the platform that day