"Off home metals"; pre-Grouping designs used elsewhere

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: "Off home metals"; pre-Grouping designs used elsewhere

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Hatfield thought you might like this tidbit on an N2 related page on the 24/05/1954 69638 or was it 69538?fell into the turntable pit @ Hatfield MPD after removal of the turntable!rgd jj
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I bet that woke the crew up with the loco pointing downwards at 30 degrees into the turntable pit.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

rockinjohn wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:45 am Hi Hatfield thought you might like this tidbit on an N2 related page on the 24/05/1954 69638 or was it 69538?fell into the turntable pit @ Hatfield MPD after removal of the turntable!rgd jj
Doesn't appear to be a link? I believe this happened at least twice at Hatfield, once 'long ago' with a Stirling loco while the bridge was still in use, and this more recent event.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Probably bit of a dumb question to all the locomen on here but given that Hatfield loco shed was fairly small and I presume it's allocation was predominantly tank engines to work the services over the Hatfield-St Albans & Hatfield-Luton branches why would Hatfield shed have a 'turntable' anyway?.

I presume the turntable was provided when the shed was laid out and it was just left in.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey not dumb because I asked a relevant question that puzzled me a while back, tanks always boiler first(water level) Up to the "X" /widened lines/Broad Street & bunker first on most Down trains with tank haulage & as "Hatfield"stated and not known by myself, trains from these Branches still ran thru, up to town in the '60's much to my surprise,hence Hatfield's turntable, maybe it was reinstated?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Nice one rockinjohn I felt a bit dumb asking such a question considering many of the blokes on here are only into locos. I presume the odd tender loco would occasionally turn up on Hatfield shed which mite have wanted turning?.

With regards to tank engines running chimney first up to 'the cross' or the widen lines & Broad Street and returning bunker first going back Down road to Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City yeah I read about that before on here awhile ago.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The turntable at Hatfield. According to the useful survey of GNR engine sheds by Griffiths and Hooper, the first TT was 40ft diameter installed in 1860 at the insistence of the BoT, followed later by a 44ft 7 inch diameter replacement for turning the various 2-4-0, 0-4-2 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 classes operating in the area (there were latterly extension bars). Once the operations out of Hatfield were essentially tank engine only, the TT could go.
rockinjohn wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:46 am Hi Mickey not dumb because I asked a relevant question that puzzled me a while back, tanks always boiler first(water level) Up to the "X" /widened lines/Broad Street & bunker first on most Down trains ...
Not LNER, but certainly by the BR period, chimney leading out of KX was standard for the N2s and N7s. The crucial aspect was the infamous Metropolitan widened lines 'hotel curve'. At 1 in 39, that was not a location to risk the firebox top becoming uncovered.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey you got me thinking why the turntable?"hatfield" as usual made sense,ok your comment re: tender locos @ Hatfield MPD, how a failure? wouldn't want turning/other scenarios J6's only other relevant tender class, they would have been a 34B or 34D shedded &maybe shunted or just passed through,&couldnt go along the branches radiating from Hatfield because of weight so why the turntable except for the boiler first turning theory.
rockinjohn

vauxhall luton

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Hatfield &others,G&S Woodward Oakwood Press "Vauxhall Motors in 1905 sent finished &crated cars via FINSBURY PARK (Holloway East?)to Harwich.jj
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

Did any other locomotives, that weren't LNER work onto the ex Great Eastern region before WW2?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I think you would be on a good bet in the tangle of lines in the East End and especially the London Docks, where the GER and the North London Railway and LT&SR - both of these of course ending up in the LMS group - were intertwined.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi lu4472ke,I cant speak for before WW2,but I was amazed to see a ex L&Y "pug 0-4-0 512xx in a Gasworks in East London 50's early'60's just cant remember if it was @ Beckton or Bromley-by-Bow.