Tourist Stock Lining

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Tourist Stock Lining

Post by notascoobie »

'Morning Folks,

I've got a query about LNER Tourist Stock livery.  I've built my first twin third finished and it's ready for painting and lining.  I reckoned that the lining between the cream and green paint was black.  However, I've been told it should be black and red.  I've been sent a photo of a Kemilway one finished thus.  However, I've got 1 colour photo showing a Tourist stock vehicle in the background and a red line is not apparent (Big Four in Colour) although the red lining on the loco in the foreground is.  Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this please?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tourist Stock Lining

Post by jwealleans »

Without being able to recall where I got the information from, I thought it was a single black line.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

LNER Study Group Journal Number 1 contains an extensive article by RDA Johnston on the Tourist stock. Whilst not a source document he includes comprehensive external and internal livery details and records that the lower 'Engine Green' and upper 'Cream' were divided by a thin black line.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for your replies chaps. I too think it's a thin black line. However some knowledgeable folks say there's a thin red line below the black one. Hmmm
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

No red line on the livery drawing I have.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks to great help from fellow members it's clear that there was a 1/2" black line between the green and cream areas. We agreed on the photos but then the LNER finishing drawing was produced to confirm that.

Thank you.

Vernon
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Please excuse an 'off-threads question, but did the same apply to the railcars?
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

drmditch wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:03 am Please excuse an 'off-threads question, but did the same apply to the railcars?
I've read that the tourist stock and railcar's had the same livery. Can't vouch for that being correct though!

Vernon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The human visual system tends to create the impression of the reverse of the original stimulus when that stimulus stops abruptly. That can be a reverse-contrast after-image in the short time after the stimulus ceases, or an impression of the opposite of the true stimulus adjoining a sharp boundary between brightness and darkness, or a boundary between colours. It occurs to me that very serious study of an image of the tourist stock might induce the impression of a red line adjoining the green area where it meets the genuine black line, red being the complimentary colour to green, i.e. the opposite of the original stimulus.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I read on another group recently that the faux Tourist stock used in the 1980s on the West Highland line had red/black lining at the colour division. Presumably that idea came from somewhere and it may also have added to the confusion as well.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

There is a Bassett Lowke carriage currently on eBay with the orange/black lining. Perhaps this is the source:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASSETT-LOWK ... 0488219606
DOCJACOB
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by DOCJACOB »

One of the faux Tourist Stock coaches is currently under restoration at Lincolnshire Wolds.

I’m pretty sure I have images pre paint stripping and restoration and don’t recall red/black lining.

Will dig them out.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0565.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0572.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This is the assertion to which I referred (posted by Gordon Clark):

"... later repaints were labelled with just 'West Highland Line', black coach ends rather than green and the lining between the green and cream was changed to have a red stripe rather than just white-black-white lining e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127282573 ... 263593616/"