Union oSA in York

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Union oSA in York

Post by silver fox »

Take a look at MSN Maps UoSA

If you can't see it, then the GNER is passing, so scroll to the right till it dissapears, and then go back!

Is is UoSA as Bittern has a light coloured Support Coach!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

its fascinating what these aerial maps can pick up, before they updated it, there was actually the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster bomber flying over a housing estate in Huntingdon

in fact, a little searching produced this.. Lancaster over Hunts

sorry for dragging the topic away from its original
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The map data on Virtual Earth and Google Maps are typically a few years old - so I would have been surprised if it wasn't Union of South Africa.

Now if they only have the same detailed coverage for the piece of Costa Rica I'm returning to for the rain forest project. I'm going to have to make our own online maps.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I have just looked at my house on the site and I can date it to 2 years old.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Yes, the York ones have been updated recently,
If you do the standard ariel on York Station, there's a glare of sunlight on one of the canopies at the south end of P1/3
By Mark t
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I know its slightly off subject, but if you Look on Google Earth, find the railway that runs through Felling towards Tyne Dock then follow it southwards towards Sunderland, you will see a nuclear flask train that has been "captured" several times during it's journey and appears t least 3 times.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

While I have this view of the NRM going (Tenious Link to Locos)
I thought it was the left hand side of the shed (now the Warehouse and Workshop) that got bombed, and the main bit survived, as there were four turntables at the time, and it is claimed that Sir Ralph was where Elerman Lines is now. But this part survived with both Turntables (until the NRM updated and took out the second), it was the other bit which got bombed, and later rebuilt as a straight roaded diesel depot.
Anyone confirm, or remember this, I'm only May 1985 in York (aged 5), Although in 81 I was baptised here!
By Mark t