N2 Inside Motion

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

N2 Inside Motion

Post by boeing757 »

I am updating/improving an O gauge model of one of these. There is a huge open space where the inside motion should be. I intend to add a non working representation but so far I can find no info on what it looks like. Does anyone have a drawing with these details or perhaps some pics. It’s purely for my personal use so I don’t think there are copyright issues.
Anyone able to help?
Bob
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: N2 Inside Motion

Post by swhite01 »

I was lucky enough to spend a day with the Gresley Society N2 on a Driver/Fireman, Shunter/Guard day on the Nene Valley Railway in 2015. While performing the duties I managed to take a number of photos of the loco, primarily for modelling purposes. I have attached a couple showing the inside motion.

I hope they help,

Steve

www.gnrsociety.con
Attachments
1744 N2 Inside Motion 1 IMG_3602.JPG
1744 N2 Inside Motion 2 IMG_3603.JPG
1744 N2 Inside Motion 3 IMG_3604.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Rob Pulham has recently done something similar on a J6 on this forum, Bob. He might be able to advise on suitable parts and give the benefit of his experience.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Bob,

From a seeing what it looks like point of view I can't do better than point you at https://www.facebook.com/7-14-Inch-Gaug ... 198642477/ where a gent is building a highly detailed 71/4 inch gauge model and his photos have helped me understand who it all fits together in 3D.

Although you can get dummy inside motions sets from LG Miniatures, there will still be an element of scratch building to get all the bits to fill the space

https://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/product- ... gear-sets/

I have taken a short break on mine while awaiting some Bakers Fluid for soldering the crank axle but I should be getting back to it in the next week I think.
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.
The photos are great and the build of the 71/4 loco is awesome.
My requirements are modest, all I want to do is fill the open space between the frames. It certainly doesn’t need to work and in any case such an exercise is beyond my building skills. I’m looking at just a token representation of the real thing. I’ve probably got all I need but a drawing would be the icing on the cake.
Stay safe.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

swhite01 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:47 am I was lucky enough to spend a day with the Gresley Society N2 on a Driver/Fireman, Shunter/Guard day on the Nene Valley Railway in 2015. While performing the duties I managed to take a number of photos of the loco, primarily for modelling purposes. I have attached a couple showing the inside motion.

I hope they help,...
Useful set of photos there. Thanks for taking them.