A2/2 Paint & nameplates

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A2/2 Paint & nameplates

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Had a thought the other day, when the P2's were rebuilt, it was reported that the front end was 'just' cut off and dumped out the back of the works at Doncaster, complete with nameplates, these were retrieved later (I've heard a fair bit later) does that mean that the loco's were released to traffic without their nameplates. ??? Also, were they released in black paint or green.!!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
S.A.C. Martin

Re: A2/2 Paint & nameplates

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

manna wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:48 pm G'Day Gents

Had a thought the other day, when the P2's were rebuilt, it was reported that the front end was 'just' cut off and dumped out the back of the works at Doncaster, complete with nameplates, these were retrieved later (I've heard a fair bit later) does that mean that the loco's were released to traffic without their nameplates. ??? Also, were they released in black paint or green.!!

manna
All A2/2s initially released to traffic minus their nameplates, and in wartime black livery. Nameplates were fitted later after a period of running in, normally. The A2/1s had their nameplates applied when full deflectors fitted and to match the existing A2/2s. Apple green and LNER branding applied later and nameplates restored at various points.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A2/2 Paint & nameplates

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Hi Simon, I had a feeling that they would have been in Black and minus nameplates, that'll make an interesting model !

Thank You, manna.
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.