Affording new locos

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NER Y7 0-4-0T

Affording new locos

Post by 4903 »

One thing that always puzzled me was how did Thompson get to build so many locos. In 18 years Gresley got to build around 800 locos, in 5 years Thompson had nearly 400 built. The figures are a bit approximate and are skewed as Gresley was happy to build locos to existing designs, but it still feels proportionally more were built under Thompson. Given the Lner was virtually bankrupt how did they afford such an extensive build program? I know that there was a big need for B1 type loco to replace pre grouping types but having the need and affording it aren't the same. Any insights would be welcome
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Affording new locos

Post by richard »

What do those numbers include and exclude?

Are you including all the B1s, for example? A few hundred were built, but they were mostly by BR, very few during Thompson's actual tenure.
He initiated a lot of rebuilds with varying degrees of success. So he knew he had a limited budget but a lot of invested capital at his fingertips (eg. the RODs were good solid engines but dated, so the Thompson O1 rebuilds made a lot of sense)

Also there were the WD builds (Austerities and 8Fs) - the LNER workshops built a lot of 2-8-0s for the war effort.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 4903 »

I couldn't easily find a breakdown of builds by year so I just took total numbers built of each designers locos.

Ordering loads of B1s and getting BR to pay for them sounds like a very cunning plan.....
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I think 'Government Secured Loans' were also a big help.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the government loans were responsible for a lot of the 2-8-0s iirc.

They were needed for the war effort, and the LNER would have recognised them as a worthy investment (see how quickly they bought war surplus RODs in the 1920s). Speaking of which, they also bought war surplus WD Austerities and J94s...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

4903 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:10 am ... In 18 years Gresley got to build around 800 locos...
Or possibly the thick end of 1400 under his signature while in the LNER CME's chair. That's disregarding the existing orders of the pre-group companies, but includes the various GCR, GER and NER designs he standardised, and which went on being constructed by the LNER.

The LNER was never remotely close to bankruptcy, in that assets comfortably exceeded liabilities. The problem was insufficient income deriving from the operation, to support the level of investment the business really required. The result was inevitably a concentration of what investments could be made in the business on the most profitable sections and traffics.
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 4903 »

Thanks. I knew the loan option had covered the work on Woodhead but not that it had been used for more general matters.

It was a mark of Gresley that he was happy to build locos from other designers which must have smoothed the integration of the Lner in the early years. See the Midlandisation of the LMS for a contrary, less successful approach