LNER tender for B17 locomotive restoration project

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

owenbenson10
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER tender for B17 locomotive restoration project

Post by owenbenson10 »

Hi everyone, I am part of a team from the university of Sheffield who have been given a design project with the aim of extending the carrying capacity of an LNER 4200 gallon tender for use on the B17 engine currently being restored by the B17 locomotive trust. http://www.b17steamloco.com/index.php

With the current situation regarding COVID we are unfortunately unable to get up close to look at the tender in person so I thought it might be worth having a look on here to see if anyone can point us in the direction of drawings, photographs or with any insight into the construction of these tenders.

Any information is very greatly received.

Thanks
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: LNER tender for B17 locomotive restoration project

Post by silverfox »

Owen

First of all there is no such thing as 'standard' Group standard tender. possibly the frames are the only common factor. Try and get hold of the volumes of the RCTS 'Green bibl'e series and check out any differences mentioned in them. Unfortunately Book Law are not going to carry on with the Yeadon series on LNER Tender,s which would have been a great help
Building a 5in gauge B17 that has a GE tender i have found at least 5 different variations so far and no doubt more have yet to come to light. Luckily i have photos of both sides of my loco plus a works drawing, and even then on several photographs of other tenders appear to show the inner side sheets have different plan and side views views.
You could well find that the GS type has a many variations as well, position of brake and waterscoop lifting gear, locker boxes locations on to and on the front, some had vacuum cylinders at the back etc etc etc

You will need to spend many hours at the NRM when it opens to go through all the drawing of locos that had 'GS' tenders V2, B1 J39 amongst others and choose whatever they think might be the best, Bear in mind that the more water space you put in the less there is for coal,plus looking at the rear of the A1 it seems a great chunk is used up on all the safety eqpt reqd for main line running , should they wish to do that. IIRC that costs in the region of 40k

I wish you well, but whatever you do it is not going to be a quick job