'Coronation' observation car.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

'Coronation' observation car.

Post by Eightpot »

The coach set for this train appear to have a rubber fairing covering the gap between the individual coaches. Looking at a 3/4 rear view of this train it would seem that the observation car also had such a fairing joining it to the one in front. As the procedure after each journey was to uncouple the observation car, turn it around - presumably on a turntable - and re-attach it to the other end of the train for the return journey. The question is did they have to unbolt and re-bolt the fairing on every occasion in order to carry out this procedure?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 'Coronation' observation car.

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Whatever the mechanical arrangement, necessarily so. There would be a couple of staff assigned at the required time to the detach/reattach fairing part of the operation I expect. In an age of wheeltappers and wagon number takers, all such things are possible.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

The remains of the rubber strip were still present on 1729, to which it was permanently affixed. It is thought there was some kind easily undone fixings present on the brake end of the two end vehicles to which this was attached.

Sawdust.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

I remember seeing mention of the use of Dzus fasteners on the Silver Jubilee for the fairings between the carriage sets, probably in an old Gresley Observer publication. No doubt the same were used on the Coronation & West Riding.

Unfortunately even then Dzus made a wide range of fasteners.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

This photo might help: https://retours.eu/en/17-edinburgh-flyi ... nation/#11

As far as I understand things each non fixed end has a rebate along which some form of fixing stud is present. The rubber streamlining goes over this and has a "strap" fixed onto the studs holding the sheeting in place.

P.S. You need to click on the lower right image of the guard to view the image I am referring to.
Last edited by MikeTrice on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Another image but without the strapping:
IMG_0192 - lightened.jpg
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

We tend to think that we learn things quickly these days, but by the time of the SIlver Jubilee, or indeed Coronation,
Dzus fasteners had only been around for 2-5 years, having been invented in the USA by a Ukrainian émigré in 1932.

As usual Gresley scoured the world for practical answers to problems he needed to overcome.

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

And theirs me thinking they turned the whole train after every trip !

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

manna wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:45 pm G'Day Gents

And theirs me thinking they turned the whole train after every trip !

manna
Imagine the size of the turntable...

:lol:
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:45 pm ...And there's me thinking they turned the whole train after every trip !
It's not so improbable from a working point of view, needs a triangular junction fairly nearby the terminal and a path to run the train through.

BUT! This would move the first class accommodation away from close proximity to the KX first class waiting room, taxis, porters etc. Oh dear, not possible.
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

As mentioned only the observation cars were turned. At the south end the turntable at Hornsey loco depot was normally used, probably probably late at night shortly after the train was released from KX. At Edinburgh it was a triangular junction somewhere to the west of Waverly but I'm not sure which one.

Remember they were only used during the summer timetable, July, Aug, Sept, as it would be dark for the second half of the journey in the other months.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

There you go, didn't know, as I said, I thought they turned the whole train. :D Thanks

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.