Shaded lettering/numbering

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Shaded lettering/numbering

Post by NZRedBaron »

I've been idly thinking about this for a bit of a while now; when did the LNER stop adding shading to locomotive numbers and lettering?

I mean, as best as I can tell it was some time after the 1946 renumbering scheme, as the first ten or so of Thompson's A2/3 locomotives (up to #519 Honeyway) had numbers and lettering that was shaded; but does anyone know if there was a specific date when that changed?
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Shaded lettering/numbering

Post by NZRedBaron »

Anyone know?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Shaded lettering/numbering

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I would suggest that even if there was an official date for the change, that might be a bit of a moot point. I'm not sure that it was always possible to do things according to the official policy at that time. Shaded transfers may not have been re-ordered for some time owing to wartime restrictions. Some types and colours of paint may not have been available in inexhaustible quantities. Skilled labour supply would be very variable. At some times, and at some works, it may have been expedient to use up residual stock of shaded transfers, at other times plain gold or pale yellow painted figures would be more practical.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.