LNER Carriage Liveries the future?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Carriage Liveries the future?

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:27 am It's a case of what knowledge is available at the time, like all these things. These days we're thoroughly spoilt by the Internet, although there's as much duff information on that as anywhere else. At least it's readily to hand and you can filter through what you think is reliable and what is not.

To my knowledge the authoritative work on LNER liveries of all sorts is still the Brian Haresnape book from about 1980.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Liveri ... 0711013462
Haresnape is informative, but his principal failing is that for colour comparison and specification purposes, he relies on back-referencing Ernest F Carter's book Britain's Railway Liveries, Harold Starke Ltd 1952 and 2nd ed 1963, and its included colour chart, which uses Carter's unique reference numbering. Few people will have a copy of that while the colour chips will have the potential to change over time and are high gloss, and Carter does not include all of the colours anyway.

Certain drawings of carriage livery details are copied from Nick Campling's/David Jenkinson's original Historic Carriage Drawings, also published by Ian Allan. The MRC published a couple of articles detailing LNER locomotive liveries, the first by Nick Campling (LNER Society) in October 1967 and the second by Robert E Hillard (HMRS) in May and June 1979.

The LNER Society's original intention was to produce a livery register but the work relied on the contributions of individuals; the available source material was distributed but to my understanding never re-collated.

As of today, Mike Trice has probably done the most research on coaching stock, Peter Tatlow has provided livery information in his Wagons series; and I am still assimilating information regarding the painting of buildings and structures. Chris Stapleton at Precision Paints has also undertaken or has access to sufficient research to reproduce the model paints.

The problem remains of relating described colours to actual published specifications such as British Standards, and then understanding the methods of their application. One fact I do know is that most paint was prepared at The Plant, under the direction of the Chief Chemist, and distributed to the point of use, which suggest greater consistency of colour if not in the local methods of application.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

So, a question; assuming that "Rule One for Model Railways" applies here, what are the different coach liveries the LNER used, leaving aside varnished teak?
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Green and cream Tourist livery
Blue and off white EMU livery
Red and cream early EMU livery
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

And also, as mentioned up thread, 'teak paint': applied to older stock which had either been varnished timber but was now 'too tired' to be revarnished; or had been painted the stock colour scheme under previous ownership.
Then there's the silver grey (Jubilee train set) and the Coronation/West Riding blue and cream (four train sets)
And finally on steel skinned stock, scumbled teak paintwork to imitiate varnished teak panelling.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The Coronation and West Riding sets were Garter blue and Marlborough blue not blue and cream.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Woodcock29 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:36 pm The Coronation and West Riding sets were Garter blue and Marlborough blue not blue and cream.
I knew that would get a reaction. Never saw it in reality, but in every photograph I have seen the pale blue looks cream to me, probably to do with the gamut of the contemporary photographic emulsions.