V4 class locos, original buffers

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

V4 class locos, original buffers

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I realize that I may be asking here about reasons for small details that are lost in the mists of time, but If you don't ask you may never find out.

Such photographs as appear in RCTS 6C appear to me to show buffers with plain parallel sockets when the V4s were new, replaced in the post war photographs by the group-standard stepped type, possibly with a temporary reversion on at least on of the locos to the earlier type. As Gresley's most prestigious locos seem generally to have had the Spencer-Moulton stepped type, or failing that the group standard type, was wartime shortage the reason for the plain type initially fitted to the V4s? Were they in fact the Turplat weldless type that had been fitted to most of the V1s and V3s, as well as the later Thompson L1s?
I wonder if it is known whether the switch to the group standard type was for a specific technical reason, or whether there were simply far more of those available at the works for fitting when overhauls were carried out?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Re: V4 class locos, original buffers

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

They appear to be the same type as that fitted to the V1s/V3s Graeme, which isn't entirely surprising given some of the similarities at the front end to the latter class. I suspect they were available types. I have had a quick look at my notes from the board minutes where the V4s are mentioned, and in the loco committee minutes, and I can't see the buffer types mentioned.

I would say they are indeed the Turplat type based on the photos I can see in RCTS and Yeadon's right now. When they were swapped exactly - no idea, my apologies.

Not the most helpful of posts but I hope that it at least clarifies what is recorded officially.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Any comment that might help to indicate whether my tentative deductions are considered sensible or ridiculous is helpful Simon. Thanks.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

On the V4 new build site is this photo showing LNER apple green, BR branding, and what appears to be Turplat buffers too. Interesting combination.

Whereas this wartime shot shows the original with group standard buffers fitted during the war.

The two locos appear to have swapped buffer types a good number of times in their first decade's worth of service.