NER Westinghouse brake

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

NER Westinghouse brake

Post by drmditch »

I am currently building a model of an NER 6 wheel Inspection Saloon to Dia. 85.
See ... here.... for a discussion of the prototype,
and ....and here.... for the model progress.

According to the drawing as late as 1926 this vehicle was Westinghouse braked and Gas lit, even though the NER did use electrical supply from 1903 onwards.
All the photographs I can find of Type B vehicles, or what may be Dia.85, are of later times when they were electrically lit and Vacuum braked.
(The vehicle being restored at the AVR in Alnwick will also be like that.)
I would like to make mine Westinghouse braked.

Does anyone know or have access to the underframe detail of an NER (or even GER/NBR) Westinghouse braked vehicle?

The Dia.116 driving vehicles for the Autotrains might have something I could work from.
The only diagram I can find is for a dual-braked vehicle. The NER did dual-brake much of it's stock, if it was likely to run 'off-system'.

I don't think Inspection Saloons were likely to do that!

For my model this is pure vanity - but I do like to have some representative detail underneath the floors!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Westinghouse brake

Post by mick b »

My Inspection saloon was built following the D&S instructions , I dont think I found any photos at the time .

It is Westinghouse Brake only and fitted with Electric lighting. The Westinghouse Cylinder simply sits between the Centre wheel and is invisible from the outside.

I can post a photo of the underneath if needed, and the Westinghouse set up on other D&S Coaches i have built . Again its very simple , the Cylinder and two operating levers one each side . The cylinder sits on one side of the underneath in the centre.

Wizard Models do listed as NER castings for the Westinghouse and NER Vacumn Cylinders, both are totally different from the D&S castings supplied in kits. No idea which version are correct !!.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Have you thought of looking the the British Railway Carriages book by David Jenkinson.

I am away at the moment so cannot check, but I am sure there are drawings of both NER and GER stock of the right sort of period.
Don't remember if the underframe detail is featured though.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

mick b wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:10 am My Inspection saloon was built following the D&S instructions , I dont think I found any photos at the time .

It is Westinghouse Brake only and fitted with Electric lighting. The Westinghouse Cylinder simply sits between the Centre wheel and is invisible from the outside.

I can post a photo of the underneath if needed, and the Westinghouse set up on other D&S Coaches i have built . Again its very simple , the Cylinder and two operating levers one each side . The cylinder sits on one side of the underneath in the centre.

Wizard Models do listed as NER castings for the Westinghouse and NER Vacumn Cylinders, both are totally different from the D&S castings supplied in kits. No idea which version are correct !!.
Many thanks. A picture of your 'underneath' would be useful! I remembered this morning that 'Railway Carriages and Wagons' by Sidney Stone (first published 1903) has a good drawing on an NER Clerestory Composite Bogie Carriage, which includes the underframe layout.

I do have another point to follow up. Are you a member of NERA?
If so, I will send you a link to some pictures I'm using.
(If not I'll send you a PM.)
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

PM please re anything you have please..

5C78878C-0D04-4851-8D69-912FED611E8F_4_5005_c.jpeg
4F35A5D0-BE17-42E6-944F-36969A2A0B00_1_201_a.jpeg