A4 tender number plates

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GrahameAinge
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A4 tender number plates

Post by GrahameAinge »

I am completing corridor tender No 5330 for my 5" gauge A4 and do not know where to attach the oval tender number plate. I realise that that LNER tenders generally had the plate on the back plate but of course the corridor connector is in the way on such tenders. Could anyone tell me please where the oval plate should be fixed?

I suppose a look at the rear of one of those still in existence would provide the information but I am unable to travel to see it at present.

I know this is a rather trivial question but of course all us modellers are told we belong to that happy band occupying the autistic spectrum and such detail is important to us!

Many thanks for any help with this.

Grahame Ainge
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: A4 tender number plates

Post by 52A »

The number plate is in the centre just above the access door to the coal space, I have tried to load a picture (700k) but it won't let me!
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

As 52A said, on the 8 wheel tenders they were on the front plate and and fixed immediately above the access door into the coal space.

I could not find any decent photo of a real tender so I have attached a picture of a Hornby super detail one. The location is correct and the plate is nearly the right size or perhaps slightly larger than scale.

Alan
Attachments
A4 tender plate 2.jpg
A4 tender plate 2.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
GrahameAinge
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GrahameAinge »

Many thanks for that 52A and Seagull. I hadn't looked at the photographs on pages 73 and 75 of Yeadon's Vol 2, not expecting the number plate to be on the front of the tender. It's mistakes and omissions a lot these days to add to my ignorance! But as you say there's the number. Being a bit of a short-cut model-engineer I have not built the upper part of the front plate because firing of a coal fired loco is not possible with it in place. So after all that I cannot fit the number plate anyway! Oh well, another piece of brass for the bin!

But many thanks once again for your help. How would us modellers get on if we didn't have more able people than ourselves to help us?
Kind regards, Grahame
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Grahame

If you have Vol ! of Yeadons or Part 2A of the RCTS green book i am sure there is a picture in there of the front of an A1/3 Tender.

quick question on your B17

how did you do the casing around the steampipes that exit the boiler to the outside cylinders?

Best wishes

Ron
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi Grahame

I used to have a works photo showing the front of the corridor tender but seem to only have the rear now, here's the front of the high-sided tender, the plates are basically in the same place.

Pete