V2s

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

V2s

Post by Woodcock29 »

I have just acquired the new Bachmann model of a V2 and am trying to determine how many of the rivets/bolt heads on the upper surface of the footplate along the boiler sides are fiction. It appears from the photos I've found that there were virtually no rivets/bolt heads in this area.

I'm also curious about the fact that the safety valves have been set into an open top chamber set into the front of the cab roof rather than simply being set directly into the roof as on an A4.

Can anyone supply further information on either of these matters?

Andrew
MikeTrice

Re: V2s

Post by MikeTrice »

Some images of Green Arrow:
IMG_8377.JPG
IMG_8890.JPG
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks Mike
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Woodcock.
Although not V2 related rivets can be a problem
On the B17 i have seen possibly 3 versions of smokebox doors! and rivet variations on smokeboxes some have rivets 'front and rear' other rivets either front or rear and some appear to have the rivets smoothed off or may be welded whether or not associated with rivets at one end or the other so for variations there.
The rivet counters nightmare!!!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

silverfox wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am ...The rivet counters nightmare!
Alternatively relax and accept that these were hand assembled by skilled artisans, and every single one will have differed in minor detail, as the good descriptions of the technique at The Plant makes abundantly clear. And that's before the effect of in service repairs and planned overhaul.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Gentlemen I hear what you're saying.
However, there are specific areas of the footplate where rivets don't appear to have ever been such as the front downslope from the high section over the driving wheels where Bachmann have a row of rivets. Likewise the missing, very obvious rivets on the front side curved sections of running plate.

Some aspects of this model are really nice but there are just too many aspects that are wrong in my view. Still with some modifications I can achieve a very nice V2 far more quickly than building the Proscale kit I've had stashed away for 37 years when I have so many other modelling projects to tackle that the RTR side of the hobby will never address!

Apologies I guess these comments now should be in Model Railways section.
Andrew