Coach ID help

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Coach ID help

Post by UpDistant »

During one of my recent trawls through Ernie Brack's treasure trove of photos, I found this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswis ... 452889327/ of D49 62747 The Percy at Hexham on what is almost certainly a train for the Border Counties line. The rostered stock for these trains was BT(3)-CL(3:4)-BT(4) which was chopped and changed when necessary. However, this one is a bit of a mongrel - the first coach appears to be a BT(6) with guards ducket and angle iron underframe which makes it a diagram 246, now a long way from Marylebone services.

The middle coach is a bigger mystery - it appears to be a vestibuled coach (upper panelling perhaps in cream), angle iron underframe, notably sitting lower than the other two but, helpfully or not, presenting the compartment door side rather than the corridor side. As the usual centre coach had both first class and toilet facilities, I have assumed that this is a CLK but to what diagram?

The last coach is the usual BT(3) to diagram 66 or 119.

The date of the photo is between 1950 and May 1955.

Any help gratefully received, thanks.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Coach ID help

Post by billbedford »

UpDistant wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:51 am The middle coach is a bigger mystery - it appears to be a vestibuled coach (upper panelling perhaps in cream), angle iron underframe, notably sitting lower than the other two but, helpfully or not, presenting the compartment door side rather than the corridor side. As the usual centre coach had both first class and toilet facilities, I have assumed that this is a CLK but to what diagram?
The vestabuled composite is to D.137 CKL(2 1/2, 5)
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

billbedford wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:08 pm
UpDistant wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:51 am The middle coach is a bigger mystery - it appears to be a vestibuled coach (upper panelling perhaps in cream), angle iron underframe, notably sitting lower than the other two but, helpfully or not, presenting the compartment door side rather than the corridor side. As the usual centre coach had both first class and toilet facilities, I have assumed that this is a CLK but to what diagram?
The vestibuled composite is to D.137 CKL(2 1/2, 5)
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Thanks Bill

Much appreciated.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Can I suggest it is to Diagram 130, because I think it has three and a half First class compartments and four Thirds.

John
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

John

Thanks for that info - I must admit to missing Diagram 130 when I was trawling through the standard set of books. It certainly seems more sensible as the NEA had plenty to choose from.

Is there any information for which carriages were transferred to the NEA? There's photographic evidence of ex-GN section, ex-GC section stock, and the Diagram 66/119 BT(3) are in the carriage rosters for various periods in the early 50s. It just adds to the variety for modelling.

John