LNER Locomotive Drawings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER Locomotive Drawings

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

For their time, the Isinglass drawings were some of the best available. Technology has now advanced so much that even my efforts which were mostly created on Paintbrush using the Windows 3:11 version could be vastly improved on given the time and patience. Scaling is no problem as printing out or imposing at 32% gives 4mm scale.

There have been many drawings on the market over the years, and one has to look at the lot and decide which ones are fit for one's own purpose.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

I've been going through the NRM drawings lists, but can't find the Gorton GA for the 11F / D11/1s yet :(
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 69999 »

List/Section 7 - LNER & Constituents - 4/GW/12388/E x (2) 'Full pipe & rod of 4-4-0 passr engine class 11F (D11) 1919'
DG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Plan and side elevation from an 11F GA are reproduced in volume 2 of E.M. Johnson's "Locomotives of the Great Central Railway". The 11E is similarly reproduced, revealing its drawing number to be LNER 622-C. The number is not seen on the reproduced portion of the 11F dwg.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Plan and side elevation from an 11F GA are reproduced in volume 2 of E.M. Johnson's "Locomotives of the Great Central Railway". The 11E is similarly reproduced, revealing its drawing number to be LNER 622-C. The number is not seen on the reproduced portion of the 11F dwg.
69999 wrote:List/Section 7 - LNER & Constituents - 4/GW/12388/E x (2) 'Full pipe & rod of 4-4-0 passr engine class 11F (D11) 1919'
Excellent, thanks. That's a start..... :)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

UPDATE: Have acquired the Johnson book, which is quite a rivetting read in itself.

The 11F drawing in it turns out to be of the later D11/2 (cut-down chimney, dome and cab roof are the giveaways), but it'll do for now, at an approximate scale of 7mm/ft. I'll still have to search the NRM archive for a clearer drawing, as the prototype measurements in the book version are too small to be legible!
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:For their time, the Isinglass drawings were some of the best available. Technology has now advanced so much that even my efforts which were mostly created on Paintbrush using the Windows 3:11 version could be vastly improved on given the time and patience. Scaling is no problem as printing out or imposing at 32% gives 4mm scale.

There have been many drawings on the market over the years, and one has to look at the lot and decide which ones are fit for one's own purpose.
A good all round point. If one has the time and the patience then anything can be improved on. The Isinglass collection has made an enormous start in providing accurate (well mostly :oops: ) scale drawings of the LNER but I know only too well how many customers I have to reply 'sorry' to. So if you can fill in the gaps please let me know, that way I can point modellers in your direction.
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

2562 wrote:
Saint Johnstoun wrote:For their time, the Isinglass drawings were some of the best available. Technology has now advanced so much that even my efforts which were mostly created on Paintbrush using the Windows 3:11 version could be vastly improved on given the time and patience. Scaling is no problem as printing out or imposing at 32% gives 4mm scale.

A good all round point. If one has the time and the patience then anything can be improved on. The Isinglass collection has made an enormous start in providing accurate (well mostly :oops: ) scale drawings of the LNER but I know only too well how many customers I have to reply 'sorry' to. So if you can fill in the gaps please let me know, that way I can point modellers in your direction.
A D11/1 would be particularly helpful :wink:
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Any of the Great Eastern built stock for Wisbech and Upwell, particularly the coaches? Pretty please?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Manxman1831 wrote:Any of the Great Eastern built stock for Wisbech and Upwell, particularly the coaches? Pretty please?
The best source for these would be the Great Eastern Society.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Tried looking them up. According to website their archives got split up after North Woolwich finally closed to the public. Was gutted when I read that - used to have some fun on visits there as a kid. Anyone know what has happened to the site?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

Manxman1831 wrote:Tried looking them up. According to website their archives got split up after North Woolwich finally closed to the public. Was gutted when I read that - used to have some fun on visits there as a kid. Anyone know what has happened to the site?
Start here
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Thank you.
Brian

MikeF
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MikeF »

Hi,

I'm looking for the complete drawings for a B1 4-6-0. Is there anything available please?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

What detail do you require and if modelling what scale do you want to do so?
B1.doc
(295.5 KiB) Downloaded 53 times