Thompson Coach Diagrams

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rspoors
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Thompson Coach Diagrams

Post by rspoors »

I have been trying to find the diagram number of a model I recently purchased of a Thompson Brake Third BR Crimson/Cream 'E16531E'. Diagram 345 has 2 1st class compartments and 3 3rd class. My coach has 2 sets of 3 3rd class compartments. Diagram 346 looked promising, but the seating doesn't match. Any help would be much appreciated.
Richard
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Thompson Coach Diagrams

Post by Darryl Tooley »

As far as I'm aware, there were no 6-compartment Thompson brake thirds. The number is that of a Tourist Stock open brake third. These had six bays, rather than compartments. If your carriage is one of these, it will have a rectangular lavatory window, and a narrower brake compartment, neither of which were features of Thompson stock.

D
rspoors
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Thompson Coach Diagrams

Post by rspoors »

Hi Darryl, thank you. I have done a little more work myself. It is indeed an open coach. I think I have found it in the NRM Oxford list:

0/6/1938 Open Third Brake to seat 48 passengers
[Tourist steel panels] 13145.N**
Brake; underframe 14075.D, bogie
[1367.N]; [similar to Thompson design, as
Diagram 191 but with doors only in centre
of Saloon; no "Mfd" stamp.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Richard