W1 identities

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

KXdriver
NER Y7 0-4-0T

W1 identities

Post by KXdriver »

The Encyclopedia states the following :
"W1 Livery
The W1 departed from standard LNER livery practice. In its original form, it was painted dark battleship grey with steel clothing bands. The number, 10000, was painted on the cab sides with 12in white numbers and 1.25in black shading. The bufferbeam was also grey with shaded white lettering.
After rebuilding, No. 10000 was painted in the standard A4 garter blue livery. The wartime black 'NE' livery was applied in April 1942, but reverted back to garter blue in December 1946. British Railways applied a white lined darker blue livery in January 1951, and the standard BR green with orange and black lining livery in May 1952."

Are there any pictures or more info about Wartime Black in its 'A4 style' rebuilt condition ?

I assume the 'darker blue' was BR Express blue as applied to many locos at that time. The W1 had white lining, but did it have the early crest or BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender ? I assume it had been renumbered 60700 by this time. Any pictures or info ?

Thanks guys :)
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: W1 identities

Post by majormagna »

In the "darker blue" (which would 100% be Express Passenger Blue) it would be the early emblem, and it would likely have been renumbered by 1949.
Moors Bound
KXdriver
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: W1 identities

Post by KXdriver »

Thank you majormagna. I agree, it would be numbered 60700 by the time it received BR Express Blue livery, with the early crest. I also suspect the lining would have been white/black/white as applied to other locos, and white cabside numbers.

I also suspect the wartime black livery would have had straw coloured NE lettering on the tender, and straw cabside numbers repeated on the front bufferbeam cowling as per other A4s.

However, pictures of both identities seem impossible to find - unless anyone knows better ?