Works plates / number plates (?)

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Minoru62
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Works plates / number plates (?)

Post by Minoru62 »

I have recently built an LNER C12 in 7mm, and a friend of mine has kindly lined and numbered it for me (in LNER lined red livery) as no 4511.
I purchased works plates from Light Railway Stores (previously Narrow Planet) and my friend fitted them; however, he fitted them on the bunker sides, and they should have been fitted to the frame extensions. On studying photos a bit closer, I can see his confusion, as there were plates also on the bunker sides, but these are smaller than the works plates. They were not there in GNR days, so the LNER must have fitted them.
Does anyone know what these plates were? I presume that they are not number plates as the numbers were painted on the tank sides. The C12s were not the only class so fitted as other classes had them too.
Many thanks,
Regards,
Colin Jamieson
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Works plates / number plates (?)

Post by swhite01 »

I think this subject has been discussed on the Forum before... or maybe I have been involved in a discussion with colleagues but I believe the following may be a pointer to the small plates as there appears to be no information in the standard books on LNER locos.

I have attached a few pictures and a part picture from the L&NER C1 Diagram of Painting and Lettering Q91 and LNER N2 Diagram of painting Q95.

The small plate seems to appear on tank and tender locos at the time of the grouping and it was surmised that it may be some form of ownership plate. On photographs the plate is seen on GNR/NER & GCR locos.. I have few photos from other regions. On Tank locos the plate does last some in situ on the "Bunker" side... the J50 picture attached is 1934. On tender locos it was located on the cab side when the loco number was painted on the tender, once the loco has the numbers painted on the cab the plate disappears from the external faces of the loco so it may be located in the cab.

As can be seen from the Q91 image the plate is in the form of a works plate with L&NER on the higher diameter, Loco number in the centre and Doncaster Works on lower diameter. In writing these notes I am assuming this is for ex GNR locomotives... other pre-grouping companies may have their build location/works in place of Doncaster.
The image form Q95 shows a change with and LNER Build loco now showing the date instead of works.

I hope the above is of use and interest... I also would welcome any firm details on use of the plates.

Steve White

www.gnrsociety.com
Attachments
1479N Grantham 16Feb1924.jpg
1519 C12 Nottingham Victoria T G Hepburn RAS QF1665.jpg
3224 LNER J50 Ardsley 1934 PC print 6555.jpg
4519 C12 Nottingham Victoria T G Hepburn RAS QF1666.jpg
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

The drawing images wouldn't attach so hopefully they are with this post!

Steve
Attachments
Q-91 C1 L&NER Painting cab plate view.jpg
Q-95N N2 Dia of Painting and lettering Number disk.jpg
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

When looked at carefully, these plates are definitely asset plates, rather like the things you see in your local
supermarket, for instance hand drying machines or computers.

Most of them have the original building place, the date of build, and a number which is neither the running
number, nor generally the works number, which is why the consensus is they are asset plates.

In layman's terms this was to make it easier for the mileage checkers to allocate both mileage, and confirm
the asset's location or movements. It also made stock taking easier every year.

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Are they still present on preserved LNER locos? I crawled all over 4498 in the late seventies/early eighties and I don't recall noticing one. Did BR remove them? What about engines preserved before 1948?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Minoru62
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Minoru62 »

Many thanks all - that does shed some light on my query; all I need to do now is to see if I can get them etched, so I will contact Light Railway Stores to see if that's possible.
Complements of the season to all,
Colin
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Since many of the preserved locos are in pre grouping colours it would be unusual, however
Mayflower has a plate I don't recognise on its cab sides, whilst the J52 in BR black had two
plates on the front and centre splashers. These all from Doncaster 2003.

My feeling is that BR had a different system for registering assets, plus brass was worth melting down!
Paul