Early LNER Gresley/GCR hybrid carriages?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Early LNER Gresley/GCR hybrid carriages?

Post by wehf100 »

OK, I'm sure I didn't dream this. I remember an article in the modelling press back in the 90s or 2000s that described a small batch of carriages built immediately after grouping that had Gresley panelled sides but were built to the GCR profile. Can anyone shed any light? Or have I just gone stark raving mad?

Will
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Early LNER Gresley/GCR hybrid carriages?

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Could it be the article by Steve Banks on non-corridor brake thirds in the March 1998 'Railway Modeller' that you are thinking of?

See the bottom of this page:

https://www.steve-banks.org/publication ... er-coaches

D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Over the period of the LNER a number of carriages had bodies constructed to sit on underframes that were either of pre-Grouping company/ECJS origin or as replacements for damaged vehicles, either through accidents or enemy action during WW2.

Regardless, the body profiles were to LNER standards, it was the lengths that were non-standard in LNER terms.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

There were three diagrams built by Dukinfield in 1924 utilising ex-GCR underframes recovered from ambulance carriages.
These were:
D.46 first, 60', 8 compartments, 4 built.
D.58 third, 56' 8 compartments, 8 built.
D.59 brake third, 56' 8 compartments, 8 built.

Diagrams for D.49 and 59 are in Harris' LNER Standard Stock. The diagram labelled D.58 shows the later Ilford stock third in error.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Excellent, thank you for your informative replies. Will seek the recommended references.

Will