D20 Whistle Placement

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

D20 Whistle Placement

Post by majormagna »

I see that the NER Class R (LNER D20) had two predominant formations of whistle placement, even in NER days. Some have them mounted directly above the backhead, inside the cab, with the whistles themselves protruding through the roof.

However some have them in front of the cab, but still with the recognisable U shaped mounting, up to the same height as previously mentioned. Is there a reason for this? I suspected it may have been down to build-dates, but locomotives built in 1900, 1906, and 1907 have both types. They were all Gateshead-built, so it's not down to different works.

I have noticed some specifics regarding whistle placement and safety valve type, is it possible they were only on Dia. 59 boilers built new with Ross Pop valves between 1916 and 1934?

Sadly none of my reading material has any confirmation, could anyone help me figure this one out?
Moors Bound