GCR Fish Vans

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

GCR Fish Vans

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

As mentioned in my Woodbourne Thread on the Model Railway section, I rentley bought a kit of an LNER Fish Van that I thought was an LNER Diag 23 Fish Van. Darryl mentioned that this was an GCR Fish Van.

As I model the BR era, I was wondering if any of these were still in service by BR? If so, where these all in General Service, as I know that all the LNER Diag 23 vans had been removed from Fish traffic by the 1930s, so would expect them to have done the same with an earlier Van.

Also, would these have been fitted or unfitted?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Stu
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: GCR Fish Vans

Post by billbedford »

Tatlow gives 12, out of 89, still in service in 1947. All had vacuum brakes.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for this. I did have a feeling there wouldn't be a lot of them floating around by 1948.

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: LNER Loco Coal Wagons.

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all,

Just a quick question to do with my modelling thread.

I recently built a kit of an LNER 20t Wooden Loco Coal Wagon. The history in the instructions said that by Nationalisation, they were all on Normal Coal loads, not Loco Coal. Is this correct?

Also, BR classed Loco Coal Wagons as service stock, so means they would have been painted black, but then they were moved to capital stock, and were painted unfitted grey. Does anyone know when this change happened? cant seem to find any info on this change.

Thanks in advance,

Stu
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I've seen pictures of them still branded for Loco Coal after Nationalisation, so I'm not sure it's correct that they all went over to normal mineral traffic. They could be used for that (which is why the LNER painted them grey, not blue or green) so there may have been some confusion.

I also think I have seen pictures of them painted black, but not many. I have always painted mine grey in BR livery.