Identifying commuter rolling stock

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Identifying commuter rolling stock

Post by Hatfield Shed »

60048 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:25 pm But in this case, I am guessing there couldn't have been more than an hour between the J50 being stood on the Up Slow with a breakdown train, and then the same locomotive working on the Up Slow with the Quad Arts. Ok, we dont know the actual timings, but looking at the number of images Mr Morrison took at Oakleigh Park that day, I doubt it was any longer, if indeed that long...
The fall of shadows are your clock. It's hours between the first picture shown and the second. The up line is heading roughly SSE in this location, and the sunlight in the first picture is near head on, the loco's shadow is underneath. Therefore it is an hour or more before noon. In the second picture the light is much lower and from the West, and the J50's shadow is on the cutting side to the East, thus some hours after noon.
Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Mickey »

60048 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:16 pm Thanks Mickey,
Yes I suspect you may well be right there. Were there any sidings around Oakleigh Park, that the breakdown train could have been shunted into?
Yes Rich there was a whole group of siding roads maybe containing around 8 or 9 roads on the up side of the running lines between New Barnet station & Oakleigh Park station with the access to and from these sidings being controlled by Oakleigh Park s/box. These sidings were in use until about 1969/1970 after which the connection to the Up slow line was severed when Oakleigh Park s/box was closed in the autumn of 1970.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60048 »

Thanks Micky.

@Hatfield Shed - yes I must admit, I hadn't noticed the difference in shadows. That potentially answers things then, it was just two separate duties, possibly hours apart.
Rich

Interested in all LNER (the original, not modern one!) pre-grouping, pre-Nationalisation and under BR)
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

That picture of a J50 hauling the quad arts, seem to remember as a postscript that they were damaged possibly @ both ends & @ sometime a J50 hauled them on a down line "special" possibly Doncaster for repair or breaking up.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

billbedford wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:01 pm Here's one diagram with the same brake end arrangement as the one in the photo. That is van, double door, ducket and then compartments. Other diagrams are possible, but my NER diagrams are scattered, and I can't be bothered to find them all.
Just to add to this post.

Two of these brakes, numbers 2484 & 2485 were converted to full brakes in 1944. The new diagram was 263.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk