NER Carriage Numbers

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

NER Carriage Numbers

Post by billbedford »

Is there an accessible list of NER carriages, of both the number of carriages built to each diagram and the running numbers?

I assume that such a list must exist since I have articles from BRJ by Clive Carter with comprehensive number listings.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: NER Carriage Numbers

Post by JonBates »

Hello Bill

There is a listing available from NERA. It is in their online shop in the section on diagrams. Priced at £4.50. The facsimile document is titled “passenger train rolling stock as at December 31st 1906”

However, it also includes new builds up to 1912.

To paraphrase the introduction…

It records all the carriages in existence at 1906, handwritten changes after that and the new builds till 1912. There’s four sections, description of carriages in each diagram, an index giving date built and diagram number, carriage numbers and the date built, list of guards vans, mail vans, horse boxes and carriage trucks by date built with running numbers.

I think that this book is a good starting point….as long as the date range is suitable.

Regards
Jon
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Thanks, Jon,

I've ordered this pamphlet.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Crews hill
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Crews hill »

Apart from the Nera 1906 list I have personally been to the National Archive at Kew which holds a big historic NER numbers/diagram book in their library. Their library is searchable on the National Archive website. You will need the archive numbers to access the books.
I am assuming that Hugh Longworth when compiling his books on Pre Nationalisation Rolling Stock at 1948 obtained this information.
The main problem I found was the reuse of numbers of withdrawn vehicles.Years 1912 to 1923 and the amendenments are missing from the NERA books.
Hope this helps.