The Night Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Albergman
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

The Night Scotsman

Post by Albergman »

A recent posting here about spotting records piqued my interest and has me wondering if I can get clarification for a faded memory.

I am now a very elderly man (85) living in Canada but grew up in Scotland (Dunfermline) till the age of 12 when we emigrated to Canada. On June 14th/1951 we took a train to Edinburgh where we boarded the Night Scotsman to KX then an SR train to Southampton. I was a keen trainspotter in those days so naturally Dad took me along to check which engine was on duty that night. Now you would think that the name of that engine would be forever burned into my memory but sadly I'm no longer sure. I think it was either Blink Bonny or Papyrus but it might be neither!

So, with this mention of peoples' spotting records I'm wondering if there's anyone/any place where such an answer could be found? Were engines movements recorded at a daily level officially back then and, if so, how would I access them?

Frank Smart
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The Night Scotsman

Post by jwealleans »

Tommy Knox is your man. if you email him at Tommy at lner-pacifics.me.uk (replace the 'at' with the correct symbol), if anyone has the answer it will be him.
Albergman
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: The Night Scotsman

Post by Albergman »

Thanks for linking me to Tommy. I've written him and he promptly replied but we weren't able to pin it down so I guess I'll never know. Not all that important in the scheme of things is it? LOL.

Frank