Ferry Van Identification

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

icairns
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Ferry Van Identification

Post by icairns »

I am trying to identify the 14-ton ferry van in the photo below. It is numbered E901618 an I am thinking that it is possibly an ex-LNER vehicle because of the 'E' prefix. I do not have the date of the photo or any other information except what is printed below the photo.

I am looking for any information about this ferry van but I am particularly looking for a drawing or the name of a reference book that contains such a drawing.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

BR 14-Ton Ferry Van no E901618.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ferry Van Identification

Post by jwealleans »

To the best of my knowledge it is not LNER. I looked into it when building ferry vans a few years ago and found very little beyond this photograph. I have a vague notion that it may have a BR diagram number but am not at home to check sources at the moment. I am almost certain it was a one-off but why it was built I don’t think I ever discovered.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ferry Van Identification

Post by jwealleans »

This van was discussed in detail by RJE Bayliff in a letter in HMRS Journal Vol. 16 No. 8, page 280. In short it was one of a pair built by Breda of Milan in 1925 and at some point prior to 1939 disposed of to the LNER. They were also rebuilt to the form shown above but the rebuilding date is not known.

British Rail drawing C5050 is of the vans in their original form and was cancelled Feb 1952. I have a picture of 901619 is original form but it came from Ebay and I have no other information. The Locomotive, March 1925 has a picture of 910618 but little more information. LNER Drawing 25598-6 also shoes them in original form but is only a weight diagram.