GW Restaurant Cars on the LNER

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

GW Restaurant Cars on the LNER

Post by jwealleans »

I posted this query on RMWeb but no firm evidence has come forward. Does anyone here have anything useful to add?

I have an LNER Special Traffic Notice for July 1933 (specifically, "LNER (NE area Southern division) Excursion & Special Train Arrangements July 21st to 27th 1933". Apart from a school exucrsion from my home town, this entry caught my eye:

Saturday 22nd July

No. 209. Hull to King's Cross - Excursion

No. 209 - Stock - TOV (Alexandra Laundry party), G. W. Articulated Restaurant Car (30 seats, Alexandra Laundry party; 60 Pioneer Spiritualist party) ; TOV (Pioneer Spiritualist party) ; 2 TKL ; 2 BTKL.

We have a GW Restaurant pair leaving Hull on a day excursion to Kings Cross, so presumably returning to Hull afterwards. There are no notes on how the stock arrived in Hull (usually foreign stock is specified along with the service or times at which is arrives). The appearance is of stock which the LNER had use of, whether by loan or hire.

Questions, therefore: does the seating capacity match the GW diagrams and are there any records of this stock being loaned out? I gather from Harris that the GW was looking at rebuilding these vehicles by this time and did so a couple of years later. Were they idle and so hired out to bring in some revenue?

Colour me intrigued.
Excursion_209_22-07-33.jpg.b4c241e01d1e34f3e01dd86f5a767ebe.jpg
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GW Restaurant Cars on the LNER

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Since the working of 209 is Hull to KX, with no further information, is it possible that the GWR vehicles then went on elswhere than Hull? (Thinking of a tour circuit, similar to the land cruises that the LNER operated.)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I believe it's a day return and the same stock is used for the same excursion on the Sunday too.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Does the document you have give details of ECS workings? Finding out where the vehicles were normally stabled might yield some more clues...
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Surely they would have been coming up along the GW/GC joint lines?

Paul
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Yes, of course they would. I actually meant where on the LNER system were they kept...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There is no ECS information for Train 209, but there are for other sets, suggesting that the stock was at Hull in advance of July 21st.

The whole ensemble left Huill at 11:05 and is timetabled to pass through Doncaster at 12:00 midday, presumably then passing into a different Area. i was wrong about it working two trips over the weekend; it appears in the timetable for Sunday 23rd because it didn't return to Hull until 03:54 on the Sunday morning, having returned to the Area via Doncaster at 02:58.

For the return from KX, the following vehicles were added: Saloons 2202 and 21778 and an Open Third.
Excursion_209_22-07-33_2.jpg
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Please forgive my ignorance, but would the corridor connections have been compatible? Or would the people in the thirds either side have had to bring their own sandwiches?
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Good point did the GWR have any Pullman adaptor fitted British Standard Gangways. The LMS did but they were slightly more enlightened in these things and they did border two companies that used Pullman gangways.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Danby Wiske wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:59 pm Please forgive my ignorance, but would the corridor connections have been compatible?...
The LNER constructed a batch of thirds with the BS type gangway for inter-company traffic, and there would have been much compatible inherited pre-group stock.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Danby Wiske wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:59 pm Please forgive my ignorance, but would the corridor connections have been compatible? Or would the people in the thirds either side have had to bring their own sandwiches?
The NE area had several coaches fitted with BS gangways and Pullman adapters.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:06 am
Danby Wiske wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:59 pm Please forgive my ignorance, but would the corridor connections have been compatible?...
The LNER constructed a batch of thirds with the BS type gangway for inter-company traffic, and there would have been much compatible inherited pre-group stock.
They were used for the Edinburgh - Inverness traffic.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It's a fair point, though I'm sure compatible stock must have been found and would have been relatively easily available. To me, it suggests the existence of another document specifying the stock to be made available, though, along the lines of a CWN.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It's an interesting topic for sure, and I don't recall seeing a picture of an LNER constructed carriage with a BS gangway; not to imply that I have been assiduously looking for such...
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Could the carriages either side of the GWR set have been NER carriages with BS gangways and pullman adaptors.
Another thought, would/could the set have been crewed with a GWR crew, all hired from that company. With the downturn in work etc
due to the depression could the GWR have been trying to earn some extra money from possibly an under used set.
All in all a very interesting topic.