NER Suburban trains in the Fifties

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rspoors
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

NER Suburban trains in the Fifties

Post by rspoors »

I'm trying to establish typical train formations just before the introduction of DMUs in the late 1950s in the Newcastle Darlington area. For example Newcastle to Middlesbrough or Darlington to Saltburn services. Do records exist of the Thompson suburban coach numbers allocated to such services? I have been able to identify particular coach types from photographs, including sets or links in which they ran, but not their numbers. Any suggestions for further research would be most welcome.
Thanks
Richard
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: NER Suburban trains in the Fifties

Post by billdonald »

You need to get a look at the LNER NE Area Carriage Workings book dated 1947. There is a copy in Kew. It lists the train workings and set composition for passenger and parcels including milk train formations. The book is structured by district and includes details of coach type, compartment number and seating capacities. It is a fundamental reference with only two aspects of information missing - the mileages and running numbers. For mileages a spreadsheet will assist but running numbers are gained from pics and selection from carriage lists based on Diagram numbers. I have to say, from a modelling viewpoint, there is a law of diminishing returns where running numbers are concerned.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You could also look at Harris, LNER Carriages or LNER Standard Gresley Carriages. Both contain diagram build dates and number series, from which (before 1943) you can work out which Area the vehicles were built for. Within the text you'll find more information. From memory - please check this - there were steel artic twins built for the NE Area in the 1930s which ran in 6 or 8 car sets on the routes you mention.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

The Carriage Working Notices for the North Eastern Operating Area (14/06/1954 to 19/09/1954) are available from NERA for £5.75.

I also have the corresponding CWN for 1956 which was just before the avalanche of new DMUs into the area. I "think" this publication came from Robert Carroll's IO coaching stock group.

Another useful publication is Hugh Longworth's British Railways Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock Volume 1 so you could pick from a selection of carriage numbers for the relevant diagrams. It's the next best option if you can't read the numbers from photographs. Who's going to know?