A4 "Broken for Spares?????"

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A4 "Broken for Spares?????"

Post by Blink Bonny »

While rattling on in an establishment of ill repute the other night, a friend asked me if I knew anything about the streak which was, in his words "dismantled for spares."

The only thing I can think of in this line involes No 4469 (the engine destroyed at York in April 1942). Were her frames used as a boiler carrier along the lines of the Ivatt Atlantics?

:?:
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

4485/60026 was sold for scrap, then the order was cancelled, and it was taken to Crewe to patch up 60007 including the driving wheels (and Mallards world famous fastest Tender in the world!)
Remains of the loco then went back for scrap but the remains of the Tender were purchased by the A4 Locomotive Society, and taken to the Hunslet Engine Co. in Leeds, with a view to converting the tender into a Water Tank. However the scheme was not financially viable and the tender languished in Hunslet Goods Yard in Leeds and was eventually cut up in 1975.
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A significant amount of the motion on 60007 is stamped '60026'.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Doh!!

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ah - I should have pointed out that this engine was supposedly broken at Doncaster.

Sorry. :oops: