Green Arrow & The NRM policy

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Green Arrow & The NRM policy

Post by silver fox »

In the Green Arrow thread on the NYMR forum, a point was made about the NRM, it concerns the fact that the NRM will not rreplace Green Arrows Monoblock casting as it won't be original, but on the other hand, they can take Duchess of Hamilton and completly cover it in 21st century Steell!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Well, the Duchess was streamlined originally and the NRM are not paying for it.

The NRM won't replace the monobloc with three independent castings (BR's approach), but I haven't seen anything to say they won't consider fabricating a completely new monobloc. This is an expensive process - they're letting something else run in steam for a while instead.

I have yet to see anyone come forward and offer to pay for a new monobloc for Green Arrow...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Such is life, bud, as you're in York, can you see what they reckon the chances are of getting 251 out and and restored to main line order?- now that really would be worth seeing with about 9 on!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Even though the Duchess Was streamlined, and the NRM aren't paying for it, it is their engine, and nothing will be original anymore, all completly new!
By Mark t
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Rather than complaining on discussion forums, has anyone actually gone up to the NRM and offered to raise the money to replace the Monobloc?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Quite so - since York seems to be the repository for most large LNER engines, what about it Silver Fox? Put me down for 20 sovs
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

Not many large LNER engines in York, just Mallard and Flying Scotsman (In overhaul)
By Mark t
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

That's because not many LNER locos were preserved.

About 21st century steel,,, that's what all engies would be, if, they were kept running constantly. New parts fitted, old ones taken out....I look foard to seeing pics of 6229 streamlined........ Even though that'll be a few years now. :evil:
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

yes, but not replacing, just repairing is the NRMs policy.
By Mark t
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

What I can't understand with the NRM is why they don't just replace the monobloc on 4771 with separate cylinders and keep the monobloc in store so that If ever the loco was permanently retired they could put her back to original condition. :idea:

That idea satisfies all the major criteria, apart from the cost, she runs on the mainline in the meantime for everyone to enjoy :D but can be put back into original condition whenever required.

Why is NRM policy so unbending? The NRM are custodians for the nation of our locos, so some cognisance of the public's wishes would not go amiss here.

If ever there was a case for cutting through all this nonsense with a new build V2 then this is it :idea: :!: :?:
John B
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I suspect it's more to do with the wider context - the NRM are losing one mainline loco, but 70013 is all but ready to go, 850 is intermittently available and the Duchess will be back once they've finished camouflaging it. 70013 will be in demand all over the place after the celebrations in June so there might not be enough work to justify 4771 as well.. for the moment.

I'd be happy as has been mentioned above to see 251, or 990, or even Hardwicke or the Midland Compound revived instead. However, didn't they take the superheater off 251 when it was preserved? If they did restore it I'd rather they did it in superheated condition than the original - a much better performer.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Why did they take the superheater off? I was under the impression that it regularly out-performed the C2 during the various specials that the two ran on during the early 1960s.

There is a new build C1 project, albeit a Brightonised one! Perhaps all this V2 energy could be put into persuading the Bluebell to use their GNR Atlantic boiler on a new-build GNR Atlantic?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Oh no Richard, not that, please! The Brighton job is coming along quite well at Sheffield Park , another Lazarus in railway preservation, hence No 990 being the one one that was put back into steam. Nobody has seen a large Atlantic on the ECML since the early 50s but those engines certainly could run. What about starting a restoration fund for her instead of all this soooo boring stuff as to moaning about the fate of those engines just recently taken out of traffic? After all, the LNER loco fleet mainly comprised pre-grouping locomotives, or don't they count any more? Any residents near the NRM want to act as agents so we can see some 'new old' stuff?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

My suggestion wasn't entirely serious :-)

I do think it is the turn of the C1 and D11, or even C2 & D17 to be steamed again...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

For me to be serious for a minute - No251 must rate as the largest British engine in preservation not to have been restored to working order at some stage in its retirement - a I right in thinking Lode Star was withdrawn some years later? I would love to hear the sound of an Ivatt Antlantic working hard on a train again

Every day I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm a Celt (but which branch?) lol