Help with ex NER types?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

russ
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Help with ex NER types?

Post by russ »

Hi, this is my first post!

-the model railway bug bit me a couple of years back, not having previously done any since my teens. I'm only really conversant with diesels having been born in the 70's

I'm just starting work on a 7mm layout with steam locos though, I've had some very useful help from the modelling forum I'm on (RMweb)
I was just hoping to try get some further understanding, I've read the 'locomotives' section on the main site:

The choices I am looking at are J71 N10 G5- I've got the low down on the model kits and chances of being able to construct them.

What I want to know now is where and what they operated on:

what would be a good branchline mixed traffic loco-
my ideas so far are
-the J71 would be ok for light railway 'loans' but otherwise it is a shunter/pilot
- the N10 is mainly the same but might get a bit heavier work
-the G5 is passenger tank, no freight working at all?

I suppose my key questions are - what range would the J71/N10 have from there home depots, and could a G5 be legitimately used for a branch pick-up or mixed train?

I'm thinking of a 'Yorkshire wolds' type operation

Thanks.
Russ
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The "Border Country Branch Line Album" has a shot of G5 67341 shunting what is described as a "horse box", though it looks like a cattle wagon to me, at Ewesley on the ex-NBR Rothbury branch (the whole operation is being supervised by a watchful Border Collie) - I think it would be perfectly justifiable to press the type into service on freight and mixed trains.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think so too - even A3s and A4s were used on freight occasionally - okay probably not before 1939!

Connoisseur have a G5 but you probably know this already.
I'm toying with either a Connoisseur G5 or a (Agenoria?) large Manning Wardle 0-6-0 as my second brass loco to build up my skills.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I have not been able to find any proof that G5's worked goods trains on the Rothbury Branch, or anywhere else. Horseboxes were classed as passenger stock by the LNER, possibly because some had accommodation for a groom to travel, so shunting a hosebox as in the Ewesley photograph would be considered to be a passenger duty.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

60041 wrote:I have not been able to find any proof that G5's worked goods trains on the Rothbury Branch, or anywhere else. Horseboxes were classed as passenger stock by the LNER, possibly because some had accommodation for a groom to travel, so shunting a hosebox as in the Ewesley photograph would be considered to be a passenger duty.
Horse boxes, like CCTs, were passenger rated because their running gear allowed them to run in passenger trains. There were even a few passenger rated cattle wagons. Since passenger trains were allowed to include wagons if they were suitably braked it is not surprising that there are photos of G5 shunting the odd van or cattle wagon at branchline stations.

In the BR Loading Groups a G5 was allowed to take 6 wagons less that a normal class 1 load.
russ
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by russ »

Thanks, for all the replies-
I did suspect the Ewsley pic (got that book :wink: !) was part of a 'mixed' passenger train. So mixed trains yes, freight no :?:

Done alot of looking round there certainly are instances of the A3/A4 s on freight particularly on the Waverley

I've ordered a connossieur J71 to get myself started, if I cant justify it on a normal branch some light railways had them 'loaned' (North Sunderland & Easingwold).
Russ
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi Russ

a lot depends on whether you want to model reality, or whether you want to add a bit of variation?

My own area of interest is Teesside & Cleveland in 4mm, but my grandparents lived on the Wolds, and I can fall back on my Father's memories, as he looked over the Vale towards York. Once you get going, you might like to consider a J27, which would have hauled limestone wagons or hoppers all the way from the Wolds, to the steel plants on Teesside. These trains were well known as 'Chalkies', due to the pale colour of the limestone that was quarried locally.

If you want to intoduce V2s or A4s, then you might like to locate your area of interest a little further to the North, and model something on the lines around Ryedale. V2s, A3s and A4s were chartered for boys returning to Ampleforth College for the beginning of term. So such a branch could provide a vast array from which to choose from.

Good luck with the build
North Eastern Matters
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

North Sunderland Railway

Post by 52D »

Russ check out NSR in constituents i have written a short history of the line and listed locos known to have worked on it. Contact me for further info.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

You could even run in Rydale on the Scarborough line, as in 1961 (08/06) A4s 03, 15 and 28 ran specials to York for the wedding of the Duke of Kent, then onwards to Malton for the reception at Castle Howard.
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)