Early LNER livery- some questions

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Early LNER livery- some questions

Post by wehf100 »

OK, here we go- Have I got this correct?

Initially L. & N. E. R. was spelt out, including full stops, and pre-group numberplates (if cast ones were fitted) were kept in place.

Some Pre-group engines were only partially re-liveried, often 'experimentally'. i.e- apple green was added to bodywork, but frames lined out in contrasting colours, pre-group style. I wouldnt be suprised if I saw a loco in full pre-group livery but with LNER on the tender- any takers?!?

At the same time, original pre-group numbers were kept and even repainted on tenders/tank sides, but a suffix was used to denote original pre-group company, i.e-

N for GNR
E for GER
C for GCR
B for NBR
S for GNSR
D for H&B
NER numbers remained unchanged.

later (1924??) 1000,2000,3000, etc was added to all pre-group numbers depending on original company for LNE's standard numbering scheme.

At some point the full stops and ampersand were dropped from the tender lettering and plain old 'LNER' and number were displayed.

Questions:

i) have I got this transition in the correct order?
ii) Could someone add some accurate dates to this?!?
iii) further to ii, How long did it take for all locos to get repainted in full 'standard' LNER livery?

cheers guys,

Will