J39 Drawings or Plans required

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Wingnut0074
NER Y7 0-4-0T

J39 Drawings or Plans required

Post by Wingnut0074 »

I am considering building a 10 1/4" gauge loco and the J39 caught my eye, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get suitable full size plans for this, presumably this has not been attempted before and therfore scale plans not availiable...yet ? Cheers Jon.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: J39 Drawings or Plans required

Post by Bill Bedford »

Wingnut0074 wrote:I am considering building a 10 1/4" gauge loco and the J39 caught my eye, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get suitable full size plans for this, presumably this has not been attempted before and therfore scale plans not availiable...yet ? Cheers Jon.
Most J39s were built at Darlington, and while the Doncaster drawing catalogue is on line the Darlington one isn't. However one batch was built by Beyer Peacock, so some drawings might be available from the Museum of Science and Industry Manchester http://www.msim.org.uk/
Andy Siddall
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Andy Siddall »

Hi Jon,

You may well be aware that Martin Evans drew the J39 in 5" Gauge and called it Stratford. While not 10 1/4" it may be a good starting point for frames etc.

It was seriallised in The Model Engineer between December 1982 and December 1983.

Blackgates Engineering advertise the 5" drawings at £60 for 13 sheets.
They can be contacted on 01924 466000.
I must point out that I have no connection with the above company except for being a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps and good look with your project.

Cheers

Andy