Scotsman's second tender?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Scotsman's second tender?

Post by x568wcn »

One question has been preying on my mind for a while now. As we all know, Scotsman had 2 tenders. Does anyone know where (if it still exists), the second water carrying tender resides?

mark t
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Mark,

Flying Scotsman's tender is 'apparently' in use in LMS Maroon livery to go behind 'Duchess of Sutherland' :shock:

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

A joke surely.

It was left rotting at Tanfield. In 1999, "Flying Scotsman Enterprises" purchased much of it, although it sounds like the superstructure was scrapped:

viewtopic.php?t=194

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

I can confirm that there is a maroon water tender at Butterley for use behind a Coronation or a Princess, however the body appears to be of recent construction. A passage way has been made over the top of the water tank to provide access to corridor connections, but LMS pacifics do not have the benefit of this facility and so I wonder if the tender was in fact originally built to run behind an LNER pacific.

So could this be a new tender body on an old chassis?

Colombo
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

I found this site while looking for information on Scotsmans second tender. http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:CRe- ... clnk&cd=20

If you scroll down to page 13, that is where I got the info from, whether that is correct I do not know.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Colombo is it possible that the Duchess tender copied or used the corridor fittings from the Tanfield/Bittern spare?

How many axles does the new Duchess tender have? I assume it has the general look of an LMS tender rather than the sleeker looking (I know it isn't really!) 4 axle LNER tender.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Gents,

As I recollect, from only a cursory inspection, and no photograph, this tender was profiled to run with and match with carriage stock rather than a tender. I am only a few miles away from Butterley and so I could go and have another look next week and take a photo as well,

Colombo