Who can enlighten me about "Wild Swan"?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ultimo Tiger

Who can enlighten me about "Wild Swan"?

Post by Ultimo Tiger »

Hello, I'm Ultimo Tiger, a 19 year old Manchester born railway, wrestling and battleship fanboy.

In 1997 I got my first ever trainset for my birthday. Sadly it was that crappy (can I use that word here?) Eurostar set. Luckily, a few weeks later at Christmas I recieved my first "proper" model train, A4 No 60021 "Wild Swan". Now apart from a few photo's in the excellent book "Mallard and the A4 Class" I can't seem to find many pictures and even less information about her. She holds a special place in my heart being the first model train I ever got (I ain't counting that plastic white, yellow and blue monstrosity thank you very much :twisted:) and I was hoping someone on this wonderful site could help fill in my knowledge of her. I know she was painted blue when built and I know she last ran in Scotland before being withdrawn. Is there anything else or did she have a rather uneventful career?

Lovely site by the way :D
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Who can enlighten me about "Wild Swan"?

Post by stembok »

LNER 4467 BR 60021 Wild Swan. Built Doncaster, to traffic 19/2/38. W/Drawn 20/10/63
Sheds: King's Cross, Doncaster5/39/King's Cross 8/41, Grantham 10/43, King's Cross 8/44, Grantham 3/48, King's Cross 6/50, New England, Peterborough 6/63 on closure of K/X shed.
To Doncaster Works for cutting up 1/64.
Liveries LNER blue,black 4/42, blue 4/47, BR blue 3/50, BR green 8/51

Corridor tender carried 4/57 to 10/63.
Employed from King's Cross on duties to Grantham, Doncaster,Leeds,York, Newcastle. Made appearances on Elizabethan (non-stop) K/X -Edinburgh after fitting with corridor tender 1957.
My last trip behind her was 7/63.Then a Peterborough engine she was deputising for a diesel on the summer Saturday relief 1A45 to the up Heart of Midlothian from Newcastle, probably as far as Grantham.
Hope this helps.
Ultimo Tiger

Post by Ultimo Tiger »

Thank you very much. I assume the second blue was that BR purpleish blue then that they experimented with?
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Ultimo Tiger:No, the second blue on 4467/60021 was LNER garter blue restored post-war. The purple tinged blue livery you mention was a B R experimental livery applied in June /July 1948 to four members of the A4 class, but not to 'Wild Swan'. Eventually, prussian blue - a dark blue -was chosen by B R and 60021 received this 3/50, before gaining brunswick green in 8/51.

Stembok
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi Neil Dimmer a member on this site posted this on the LNER list.
60021 Wild Swan Doncaster mpd 7/9/63
http://www.steamlocomotives.photos.gb.n ... 09517.html
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Ultimo Tiger

Post by Ultimo Tiger »

Ahhhh thank you very much.
Henfield
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Henfield »

Regarding A4 Wild Swan I took my younger brother with me , me aged just 14, on the Elizabethan to Edinburgh in early August 1958 and the loco was Wild Swan and we were in the two Aberdeen coaches.I had been really looking forward to this non stop journey . Unfortunately it was not non stop - we stopped in York yard and an inspection was made and we carried on to Darlington where an A3 was waiting to take us to Edinburgh. We were too late to be hitched on to our connecting train at Edinburgh and we were then attached to a stopper to Dundee. At Dundee we were attached to a V2 which took our 2 coaches very rapidly to Aberdeen. A great journey nonetheless.

Does anyone have the timetable page showing the Elizabethan schedule and for Edinburgh to Aberdeen in Summer 1958 .
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You'll find a couple of pictures of 4467 in as built condition in Neil Dimmer's galleries, including this magnificent picture, possibly one of the best ever taken (though it doesn't show much of 4467). A simple Google for LNER A4 4467 brings up a number of other period photographs.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Henfield wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:38 am Does anyone have the timetable page showing the Elizabethan schedule and for Edinburgh to Aberdeen in Summer 1958 .
ER_1958_ECML_Summer_CW - Down Elizabethan.pdf
(92.13 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
ER_1958_ECML_Summer_CW - Up Elizabethan.pdf
(79.04 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Hopefully Tommy Knox might be able to supply you with the known workinga of the loco