Y7 Dumb Buffers and Numbers

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

gresleybear
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Y7 Dumb Buffers and Numbers

Post by gresleybear »

Hello Richard. On page 8 of the Yeadon's volume is a rear quarter view of a Y-7 in late NER livery. It is unlined black with NER on the tank sides and the number 28 in the middle of the cab back panel. There is no cast number plate. Elsewhere in this volume there are other photos of these engines with dumb buffers in LNER livery. Room has been found to put the usual number transfers on the buffer beam between the coupling hook and the right hand dumb buffer. Hope this helps. John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Hmm, that is an interesting photo with a transfer and not a numberplate. I had noticed that some of the number plates disappeared with time. I wonder if this one lost its number plate when it was painted black?

The numbers on the bufferbeams: These are LNER not NER. It is possible that the NER might have done something similar if confronted with the problem. I have a few 2mm LNER sheets (both gold and yellow) which might fit if they are not too decorative. I will need to compare and ruminate!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

richard wrote:Hmm, that is an interesting photo with a transfer and not a numberplate. I had noticed that some of the number plates disappeared with time. I wonder if this one lost its number plate when it was painted black?
Goods engine black livery dated from 1904. Brass plates were removed from black painted engines as a war time economy measure from 1917