Q6 and O4 in the same place is it possible

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Q6 and O4 in the same place is it possible

Post by Tom Quayle »

Leading on from one of my earier posts on other sites, with Q6 no 901 to be returned to steam is it at all possible we will have 2 different LNER/Eastern Reigon freight engines in the same place? Imagine them crossing on the approch to Quoan and Woodhouse :lol: .
Another good combo would be a 9f and O4 at the GCR. While on subject has anyone seen the latest issue of British steam DVD series from newsagents O4 and GCR are the main features watched it last night and looking at the film the GCR enginemans moto was Thrash it until you cannot thrash no more. I meen at one point on the DVD it says that speeds of 90mph with a 9f was sometime recorded (is this the fastest freight engine in the UK? a 66 is limited to 75 right :lol: ). The great scene of a 9f chargeing along a double track mainline with a huge windcutter behind it could happern in preservation (BYE BYE 30777 freight length record lol). What surprised me is the turn of speed GCR engineman could get from O4s and 9fs.
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by daveinstoke »

Tom, most freight engines were relagated to 50 mph. Only a few 8F'S & 9F's had balanced Driving wheels , these loco's would occasionaly be used on passenger services. A loco with balanced wheels was denoted with a blue star on the cab side.
Dave.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

The Q6 is 2238 in NER numbers by the way, or 63395 in BR as it will appear after the overhaul. Would be nice to have her down at the GCR, guess we'll have to wait and see.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Re British Steam Railways, I've not got the 04 yet, but then I have it on subscription and get two at a time, so might get issue 28 before the shops.

On that subject, Friday 9th Feb I get a letter from them saying the bank refused my card due to reason, Card Expired (that was last August) Then today Sat 10th Feb I get another letter saying they haven't heard from me, we apologise if the letter has crossed in the post.
Well if the office was open at reasonable hours I'd ring up, but Mon-Fri 9:30-5 doesn't work at 6 on a Friday!
Oh well posted it off today
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
cooperajn
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Q6 and O4

Post by cooperajn »

Referring to my green book, from 1951 there were no O4s shedded on the NER, although the O1s remained at Tyne Dock.
TonyC