NELPG's Q6 63395

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

NELPG's Q6 63395

Post by Rlangham »

Does anyone have any photos or know how close this loco is to finishing it's restoration? Haven't been in the NELPG for a while, however i should become a member again before long.

Also, does anyone know what colour scheme she will be in? I'd love to see her in NER colours.

Cheers, Robert
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm afraid I don't have any information, but do you have an upto-date website for the NELPG? I had a number of links to their preserved locomotives, but they stopped working earlier this year and I had to remove the links. It would be good if I could link directly to the NELPG pages about each of their locomotives.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Heres the address;

http://www.nelpg.org.uk/

Checked it a minute ago, looks like they're finally rebuilding the site. Can't wait to see the Q6, looks strangely graceful for such a large, powerful raw locomotive

Looks like J72 'Joem' is finally at Darlington for an overhaul. Are Q7 901 and A2 'Blue Peter' no longer looked after by the NELPG? I know the Q7 is now at the NRM museum at Shildon (the new one, opened in 2004) so looks like the NRM has claimed her back, and Blue Peter is at the Darlington Railway Museum, and she is not to be restored, so maybe she's been given to the museum.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks, I've bookmarked it and will add the links as they put the new pages up.

Looks like the Q7 and A2 are listed as "Other Locomotives". I don't know the story about A2 "Blue Peter", but I believe the Q7 is owned by the National Collection and looked after by NELPG.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Blue Peter is owned by an outsider to NELPG. NELPG are custonians of it.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the info LNERandBR - and welcome to the LNER Forums!

We could do with some bracing Skeggy weather here in Irving. Despite a near miss from a major hurricane, today is still forecast to have a high in the high 90s.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
--Si--
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by --Si-- »

What livery is the Q6 going to wear on its return back into preservation? I have heard its going to be BR Black is this true?
Simon Getgood
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Yeah she is, although chances are she will be repainted later in her service life into other colours, the J27 was (She's now in NER colours, so technically she's a P3). It depends on the results of the vote, as the J72 didn't get more than 40% of the votes for the livery option which came second in the voting, so after the overhaul she will stay in the same livery until she has an overhaul (if that makes sense). I wasn't a member of the NELPG until after the livery was decided, i'll try and find out though as i'm interested to, i'd love to see her in NER colours.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Some photos of the Q6 taken yesterday can be seen on the unofficial NYMR forum here

http://www.atfreeforum.com/unofficialny ... icialnymrf

Can't wait to see her finished, looks as if she won't be too far off completion
Gresleyman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Gresleyman »

I think if I remember this right, the colour scheme chosen was the last one it carried in BR with something like 40% of the vote. However for those NER enthusiast a later repainting whilst not planned was not ruled out totally. And yes I can't wait to seeher back in service again as no engine as unique as this one hsould be left to rust. Q7??

Gresleyman
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

Latest update, coutesy of a unofficial nymr forum member:

http://www.atfreeforum.com/unofficialny ... icialnymrf
ImageImage
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

richard wrote:Thanks, I've bookmarked it and will add the links as they put the new pages up.

Looks like the Q7 and A2 are listed as "Other Locomotives". I don't know the story about A2 "Blue Peter", but I believe the Q7 is owned by the National Collection and looked after by NELPG.

Richard
The Q7 is no longer in NELPGs care.

Sawdust
Gresleyman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Gresleyman »

yes you are right it is part of the national collection but I am sure there was some uncertainty over whether it would be returned to running order again! Personally I prefer to see engine doing what they built to do than collecting dust. However as always money is the deciding factor. :roll: