North East???????

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

North East???????

Post by Norman Coyne »

As a Redcar lad born & bred the north east to me is the North Riding of Yorkshire & County Durham. So what does Bradford Barton encompass in the North Eastern steam books?

Norman
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Bradford Barton use the term "North Eastern" as a catch-all phrase for LNER - not as a geographical definition. For example, in "North Eastern Steam Locomotive Album" there are shots of GCR, GNR, NER, NBR, and GER as well as LNER machines.

County Durham, Newcastle, and Northumberland are the North East. Yorkshire is in the south, lad. :wink:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norman Coyne »

Bullhead wrote: County Durham, Newcastle, and Northumberland are the North East. Yorkshire is in the south, lad. :wink:
But that deprives you of a football team. :) Boro rules OK!!!
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Norman Coyne wrote:
Bullhead wrote: County Durham, Newcastle, and Northumberland are the North East. Yorkshire is in the south, lad. :wink:
But that deprives you of a football team. :) Boro rules OK!!!
So are you one of the 3 people whom I've seen on TV at the Riverside sitting amongst acres of empty red seats for home UEFA Cup games, then? :wink:

I should say, though, that I did live in West Hartlepool (shudder) for four years. At least I can eat bananas now without breaking out into a sweat (I read Camus and Sartre in the original French when studying for my "A" Level).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

At least we have 61654/66725 and no smog on Wearside.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I have quite a few pics of the Harton railway, its locomotives and wagons
did you now that British Coal archives at Leeds produced a 30 min video of the Harton railway before its demise. I talked to the guy who was doing the film and he sent me a copy.
Attachments
Westoe 13.jpg
Westoe electric railway (Harton)
(49.31 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Sorry, I have to disagree here regarding people's definitions of the north east.

I have several books on north eastern steam railways and they are mostly somewhat lacking in my opinion. The north east they talk about reaches down sometimes as far as Whitby or maybe even Malton BUT, the biggest shed that ever was in the north east was at Hull Dairycoates slap bang at the southern limits of East Yorkshire.

The North Eastern Railway had a very large presence in Hull, (just research on the Hull & Barnsley Railway to see the impact the NER had on the local railway scene) I think they would have been very surpised to learn that their biggest shed was not in the north east.

My ten pennorth!
John B