Kings Cross Painting: Mystery Locomotive

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Kings Cross Painting: Mystery Locomotive

Post by richard »

Here's the book cover that I was talking about in another thread. The cover is credited as a detail from (actually most of) "The Railway Station, King's Cross" by Sir Frank Brangwyn, from the Guildhall Art Gallery.

Looking through my pages, the C12 does seem the most likely.
Note the front axle is not a driver - so considernig the length, this is probably a 4-6-2T, 2-6-4T, or 4-4-2T. C12 was a GNR Ivatt which makes sense for Kings Cross. The dome also has an Ivatt feel about it.
Of course, it might not be entirely accurate - it could be fictional or a hybrid. Even Turner (one of the best-known painters of ships and seascapes) managed to re-arrange the mast and chimney on the tug in The Fighting Temeraire!

As for the book: No spoilers please! I'm still reading it. Yes it is a short book, but I've been busy recently :-)
For the films, I've only seen the Hitchcock version. In that version, Hannay does indeed flee to Scotland on the Flying Scotsman (train) via Kings Cross. This is the famous 'goof' where the train starts off correctly hauled by an A1/A3, but is seen departing a tunnel hauled by something of GWR construction!

Interestingly, the book has Hannay fleeing from London via St Pancras and the Midland Railway! I guess the publisher must have been thinking of the film(s) when choosing the cover picture.

Richard
Attachments
Cover from the Oxford World's Classics edition of John Buchan's "The Thirty-Nine Steps"
Cover from the Oxford World's Classics edition of John Buchan's "The Thirty-Nine Steps"
cover_39steps.png (215.97 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia