J21 No. 65033 - what was its post-Preservation History?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

J21 No. 65033 - what was its post-Preservation History?

Post by richard »

I've just added the page for the J21s:

http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j21.shtml

However, the history of No. 65033 after its withdrawal from service seems a bit of a mystery.
My RCTS "Greenie" basically implies that it was sitting at Darlington Works waiting for an offer from a scrap merchant when the text was written.
We also know it stood at Beamish for a few decades.
Did Beamish buy it directly from Darlington Works, or was there an intermediary? Does anyone know anything about this bit of its history?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

I attended a works and shed visit to Darlington with the school Railway Society in either 1960 or 1961, I have lost the date. On this occasion there was a siding of withdrawn locomotives at the top of the locoshed yard. These included an A5 and also 65033, which, as I understood at the time, had been set aside whilst being considered for preservation.

I am not sure where it went next before ending up at Beamish.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The RCTS book says it was withdrawn in April 1962, but was still there in February 1966 when the remains of No. 65099 was broken up.

I'm not sure when Beamish was created - was it even around in those days?

I've also asked Dave King at the William Marriott. He was interested in my J21 page, so I sent him an email notifying him of its completion. As he has contacts with the restoration project (and hence Beamish), he might know...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I heard it was stored at the Tanfield line for a bit, so perhaps that was between Darlington and Beamish. Beamish is a fantastic place, hopefully they'll paint the J21 in NER livery at one point and have her steaming in the station yard (please!)
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

She wont be there for 20+ years NNR have her for 20 years as of the day she is restored to running order,im looking forward to seeing her and 65642 doing a double header
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Something for the T.W.Worsdell fans - two of his best designs together, even if the combination is rather un-prototypical!!

(I don't think the J15s ever ventured north, and J21 visits to East Anglia were limited in extent and short lived)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Not sure about J15's venturing up north but the E4's certainly did. The NNR has one heck of a load of LNER loco's now that they have the Y7 as well, someone at Beamish told me they might try to get the Y7 up to Beamish for a bit in the future (apparently they will be expanding steam operations or something up there soon, it's a good job too, they have some very nice locomotives and three different bits of railway, two haven't been used for years)
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask