Drawings

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER N2 0-6-2T

Drawings

Post by 60114 »

Hi All,

Im looking for design drawings of the J15 and J21, reason, i need these drawings is that im team leader of TrackworkTS, a new group that are producing a add on of the North Norfolk Railway for Microsoft Train Simulator, the money for each cd published will be donated to the NNR, if you can help please contact me either here or at ademonicshadow@aol.com
if you want to know more about the pack go to www.trackworkts.co.uk/forum

hope someone can help

From Mike
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome aboard Mike!

I've moved this over to LNER Locomotives - General Chat is for non-railway stuff :-)

As coincidence has it, I finished the J21 page yesterday. I have a gap in the survivor's history so I posted a note last night. Where did it go between Darlington and Beamish?
rlangham has added Tanfield.

This might seem a silly question from me, but doesn't the North Norfolk Railway have drawings for the J15? Or are these too detailed for your needs?
Both the J15 and J21 are popular types - I would think that both have appeared in Railway Modeller or similar magazines, but I don't have a reference.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

thats a very good question Richard, i have been in contact with the NNR webmaster, he has offered me alot of help and said that the Loco works at weybourne should get in contact with my but alas nothing has been heard, i will have to email the general manager see if i can spark something up there to make something happen, but i figured it could be a good idea to come here, im also in need of Quad-Art drawings which they may have but i guess its worth the shot asking here

Just want to say a fantastic website, i love it here, shame you dont have any pics of 60114, named after my great grandfather

on another note, anyone know where i can obtain P1 drawings or Ravens A2?, these would be freeware, but it would fill in one of the few missing gaps for MSTS of Eastern Region steam

From Mike
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the compliments! Sorry, I can't have photos of every locomotive - even all the named ones would be a bit excessive.
(if you have a good one, I could add it with a credit)

W.P.Allen, the first Peppercorn A1 to emerge from Doncaster!
(beating Darlington by a month if my references are correct).

I thought I might have a quad-art in a book I have, but alas no. It does have diagrams for a wide variety of LNER (and constituent coaches) including the two 3-car restaurant sets.
The book is: "Historic Carriage Drawings, Vol. 1 LNER and Constituents" by Neil Campling. (Vol.2 is LMS, Vol3. is non-coaching stock).

Someone on EBay had quite a few of the series recently, and I think it is still in print.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

This is interesting: according to Ken Hoole, whilst 65033 is the last surviving J21, it was first withdrawn in 1939, but then reinstated in view of the worsening international situation.

Also it was NER practise to outshop locos from Darlington in Works grey on occasions to help with bank holiday traffic, and then return them after the holiday for the completion of the painting.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the RCTS book mentions the 1939 withdrawal. Wartime shortages then led to it being repaired and brought back into service.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

Do you know any books that have loads of drawing on steam loco's as im also looking for drawings on Southern loco's such as urie's G16 and H16, the 700 class and a few drummond loco's
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

60114 wrote:60114, named after my great grandfather
In that case, I have your great grandfather's autograph in a bound set of ASLE&F "Locomotive Journal" magazines from 1942. See below:
Attachments
DSCN0782.JPG
(163.17 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Look for FJ Roche's book, "Historic Locomotive drawings in 4 mm scale" published by Ian Allan.

This has drawings of B o B, Nelson, N15, M7, 0415, Schools, Q, U, T1, N15X, E & E1, M.N. and a variety of SR tenders to match. Does anything there interest you?

LNER modellers will find drawings of class B1, A3, L1, N7, N2, J39, J69, A2,A1 Great Northern, Peppercorn A1, B12, GC Immingham and a distinct lack of Scottish and NER prototypes. Presumably Mr Roche preferred the softer southern climate.

LMS and GWR types are there as well, but no sane person of an eastern persuasion should be interested in these, frankly, I am surprised to find a "Southerner" on an LNER site, but welcome all the same.

Colombo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

Im not really a Southern loco person, most of my taste does swing to Eastern region, but i do like some locos on other region's aswell as Diesel's

I shall be looking up that book, although southern wise alot of the loco's i'd like to model are not there, but appears to make up for the lack of drawings i want LNER wise, and possibly LMS and GWR aswell

Colombo, when will you be able to get the drawings to me? of the J21?
I thank you in advance, for this.

Are there any other books anyone can point me too?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Peco have a similar book: Drawn and Described: A Collection of Locomotive Drawings and Accompanying Articles by Ian Beattie as Published in "Railway Modeller" by Ian Beattie:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 73-3523970

I haven't seen a copy, but was under the impression that the book has a "good selection" of locomotive drawings taken from Railway Modeller.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Hi 60114, you may remember me from another forum :).

I have sent my copy of the J21 drawings over.....

David
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

David, thanks alot buddy.

Richard, thank you for the link i shall purchase this book tomorrow
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I bought Yeadons Vol.1 (A1/A10/A3) Second hand off the Amazon Market place. It seems as thought a Farther/in law had passed away, and the books were all being sold on with no further use for them.

In my book when I recivied it was a drawing, and when I opened it up, it turned out to be a full size O Gauge drawing of A3 (Super Pacific) No.35 Windsor Lad.
it has front, one side, tender front & back, and top views of it, with full measurements.

it is a skinley drawing, from PT Moore, in Dover
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Colombo,

Colombo wrote
LMS and GWR types are there as well, but no sane person of an eastern persuasion should be interested in these, frankly, I am surprised to find a "Southerner" on an LNER site, but welcome all the same.
Hrumph!!?!?? Tut tut tut, so insanity wears the face of someone of an eastern persuasion daring to be around, look at, model, drive, fire or be "transported" by (or should that be tainted by) "anything" from the Lame Mouldy and Slow Railway or the Grand Winging Rumbling railway.

As for a "Southerner" on an LNER site, shameful, oh the indignity of having to contemplate an intrusion from that "other" railway down there!??! into the sanctified and sacred metals of the Loquacious & Narratory Etymological Railway website.

Go to: http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/vt_video.htm

and take a look at King Edward 1st on Lickey or 45305 in action between Snow Hill and Didcot or even 45690, there is also a good video or two of Rood Ashton Hall really giving it "big licks" as for LNER locomotive videos of this quality I can only find one of 4472 on this website, although I have seen the BBC archive ones (if there are others then I sincerely apologise and would welcome the relevant link) it's a good one of her on "foreign" metals pulling a large train from a standing start.
John B