Yeadon's Register

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Yeadon's Register

Post by jdtoronto »

Thus far in all my research I have relied on the suggestion here to look at the RCTS books for info on Locomotives.

Recently I have been offered a number of volumes of Yeadon's Register - at around £10 each or about half-price. Are they valuable as a reference source for modelling? I don't mind spending if they are worth it, but remocemendations dont seem to pour off toungues as readily as for the RCTS series.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think the RCTS books have been published longer so they have wider circulation. I think Yeadons were still being produced quite recently, whilst the tender 0-6-0 RCTS book still says that J27s are working hard in the Blyth area!

From those who own both, I've heard them described as complementary. Eg. RCTS has more text, Yeadon's has more in the way of allocation tables, and possibly photos?

I had a glance through some vols when visting the NRM last summer "for future reference" (time, money, and luggage constraints prohibited me from buying them). I'll probably start buying the set later this year if Dapol's Gresley Teaks don't get released first :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I have Vol 1 (A1/10/3) and Vol 2 (A4/W1) and the A4 one is excellent due to the small number of the class. It has a double page on each loco with at least four photos of it through out it's life, and the full history.
It's LNER Number
First Name (until Date)
Second Name (From Date)
Where built & Works Order No.
When to Traffic
Full Works log (Where, date, from & To, what sort of work, General, Light, Heavy., and some of the work carried out.)
Then the Boilers (When added and where from (Engine or Spare)
Tenders (From & To)
Sheds (Dates allocated to the shed)
Renumbered (Number and Date renumbered)
Condemned (Date and where, and where scrapped)

I find this one a very good book, as I don't have the RCTS, but having said that, the Vol 1 (A1/10/3) isn't as good, due to the larger number of the class. It has lots on one page, but gives the same details (except 2 where some of the history was lost during the BR Takeover).
It does have a lot of photos in it though, and very nice one of Scotsman at Wembley. But this book does cause trouble, as I don't know what the RCTS is listed like, but this one is the A1's then A3's then A10/A3s, so the rebuilt ones go in twice, at the front and at the back. and when they go back in, they are under the rebuilt number, so Scotsman is 103, inbetween 4471 & 4473 when rebuilt it also tells you when in and out of traffic.

One other thing. There is a famous photo of A4 4469 in the bombing, and it is very widely used (it's in this book) But it has something I've never seen before. A photo of it back upright at Doncaster, (it's a right state)

Hope this sort of helps
They are 12.95 at published price and dated 1990
I got mine off the Amazon Market place
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk