LNER Shed codes and build plates wanted

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ralphtown
GNR J52 0-6-0T

LNER Shed codes and build plates wanted

Post by ralphtown »

Is there a list of what loco had what shed code(s) when first built?
Did these ever change at all or did they just leave the one on that it was built with,if you know what I mean.

Same question about build plates.
I want correct plates on both my A4 Seagull and Flying Scotsman OO guage locos but a comprehensive list would be very useful as a "sticky" on here or a section on the main LNER pages.

Anyone?

RALPH.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: LNER Shed codes and build plates wanted

Post by Flamingo »

Are you asking about the shed codes used during the BR period? If so I don't think very many locos would have had their shed code plates fitted as built, i.e. when they first left the works where they were constructed. Also many engines were built by private contractors and not in BR workshops. At a guess I would say it would be virtually impossible to produce a list of which engines had them and which did not.

The shed code system used by BR with both numbers and letters was a development of an earlier system used on the LMSR. The numbers denoted the motive power districts, and the letters identified the indivdual sheds within each district. I think the LMSR's codes may only have used numbers.

When the shed code plates were fitted, they were certainly not a permanent feature. The plates would be removed when an engine was transferred from one shed to another, and the code of its new depot would then be put on.

Another complication during the BR period was that motive power districts were sometimes shifted from one region to another due to boundary changes, for example when the former Great Central main line was moved from the Eastern Region into the London Midland. At other times districts would be abolished or two districts might be combined into one.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

ralphtown wrote:Same question about build plates.
In general pre-grouping and contractor number plates were removed and replaced by an LNER ownership plate. These carried the loco running number and the plates were modified, sometimes quite crudely, when the loco number was changed.

I want correct plates on both my A4 Seagull and Flying Scotsman OO guage locos but a comprehensive list would be very useful as a "sticky" on here or a section on the main LNER pages.
There is a full list of Pacific allocations in RTCS Vol2A and of LNER sheds with pre and post nationalisation codes in RTCS Vol10A
ralphtown
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by ralphtown »

It would appear that the shed codes were never a permanent thing so I,ve decided to settle on a Kings Cross plate for my model 34A I think.

The build plate is another thing tho.
There is a nice pic of Mallards plate on Google but it would seem that Fox Transfers do etched versions of both plates.
I was thumbing thru some back issues of Hornby Magazine and came accross a super detail item on a Stanier loco.

So,progress made and some confusion sorted.

RALPH