A4 colour film from the 30s

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A4 colour film from the 30s

Post by StevieG »

Going back about almost 100 years, the answer to both of Flamingo and Manna's questions, is pretty sure 'yes', and definitely 'yes'.
As I alluded to earlier, I think this 'being positive when trains had emerged from tunnels' business probably accounted for these provisions, at least in part.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

What is comforting about the Ganwick photo is that it provides evidence that there was still an occasional Mk1 in crimson and cream on main line duty at the same time as enough of the Metro-Cammell Pullmans had been delivered to make up whole trains (brake seconds excluded).
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yes! pity we don't have a date for that picture------1960/61 as a rough guess :?
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

I can't put a date to the Ganwick photograph as it was not taken by me. I would agree with Manna, 1960/61 is about right. It cannot be much later than that because the blood & custard coach in the northbound train would have been repainted maroon.

A few more Ganwick pictures from the winter of 1962-63 are on my Fotopic site: http://www.steamontheeastcoastmainline.fotopic.net

Sorry I had left out the first part but the above link should work now,