Stirling No 1

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Stirling No 1

Post by Bryan »

Apparently the NRM are in the process of doing some work on No 1 to enable it to be towed to London Waterloo for its starring role in the stage play version of the Railway Children.

I do not know if it means towed the full distance or from nearest road offload point.
Nice to think it would be the full way along the ECML.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Stirling No 1

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
At least there using a real engine, not some Midland thingy, or even worse some Western thingy...UGH!
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Ta ta!. Now come on manna you shouldn't show your bias towards Swindon designed locomotives on Gods Wonderful Railway!. Micky GNR/NER/NBR/LNER all the way...
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

as an L(NER) modeller with a model of the GW-(spit)-Great Bear !!! will I get black balled? 7mm scale ofcourse.my excuse I model cross country working and when the trains arrive at their destination these foriegn thingies are needed to shunt the stock!
Jim brodie.
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Among the GWR specialities was the deep tone 'Brake Whistle' which I could have done with on several occasions to alert the guard to our need for a bit of assistance. One of them being the night when our train of loco coal for Top Shed took the bit between it's teeth dropping down through the tunnel into KX Goods Yard. I saw a later picture of a J 50 which actually featured in a messy pile-up on a similar working. At such times we could have done with one of those bibles that were supplied to some LMS signalboxes.
Anyway weren't the GWR engines a lovely colour? And those nameplates - didn't they have one called "Bless 'em 'all" ?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mention of Churchward's Great Bear earlier makes me wonder if some 'mad fool' or group somewhere would be up for rebuilding a real life replica of that mysterious locomotive?. Now that would be an interesting project to rebuild that loco, if i win the BIG ONE on the lotto i will front the money guy's. Whatever has happened to the project to rebuild a BR standard Clan loco that started about 15 years ago?. Anyway getting back to the GNR it's about time that they gave that Ivatt large boiled atlantic in the NRM at York an overall and give her a run up and down the main line between Kings Cross and York sometime in the next few years, i wouldn't mind seeing that before i die. Micky GNR/NER/LNER all the way...
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Not the Great Bear, please, Micky.
many years ago I knew a chap who knew a booking clerk who's grandfather was one of the pacific's drivers. It came through to me that it was considered by the crews as a bad design. It never even looked right.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes i know what you mean lead-plug about the 'Great Bear' not being to good at steaming and that she was to long and and heavy and therefore restricted to only a few routes on the GWR but all the same she was still an interesting locomotive by Mr.Churchward on his first attempt at a new design and nodoubt Mr.Churchward would have improved on the design if he could have been bothered to but he didn't like the locomotive. Mr.Churchward should have offered her to Ivatt and Worsdell for trails on the GNR/NER main lines?. She could have had a good running-in down and up the GNR/NER racing grounds. Micky GNR/NER/LNER all the way...
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

Our "skittle Alleys" had long boilers but they were good steamers and good riders-.
Jim Brodie.
Attachments
It's from a Douglas Models set of parts in 0 gauge.
It's from a Douglas Models set of parts in 0 gauge.
Thought best to bring the conversation back to Stirling Singles.
Thought best to bring the conversation back to Stirling Singles.
No 97 preparing to shunt some Chauldrons Gw 4-4-0 Meteor ready for away with the North east mail and sleeper.
No 97 preparing to shunt some Chauldrons Gw 4-4-0 Meteor ready for away with the North east mail and sleeper.
Last edited by James Brodie on Tue May 18, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Interesting point James how did the cold noses ride compared to the A3s.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

Better - so I was told when I was a cleaner and tired the drivers out by asking questions all the time.
Jim
silver fox
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by silver fox »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
At least there using a real engine, not some Midland thingy, or even worse some Western thingy...UGH!
manna
It's a show going on tour, and using the same set and props...eg: Starring roll, the best part of the show when it comes flying in just before the interval, just wish it was in York one more time, but with all the empty seats last time on the second time we went, I doubt it!
By Mark t
http://www.youtube.com/yorksteam
(I was here first, with the space!)