60007 article in Steam Railway

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

60007 article in Steam Railway

Post by Tom Quayle »

Has anyone else read the article in steam railway about the overhaul of 60007, it continues next issue. Its a good read. A LNER escape in a Brunel dominated issue (GWR=gresley was right). The only prob with it was the small paragraph at the end talking about the contnuation of the story and sadly the streamline wanna be 6229. Why carn't the NRM put money or appeals into something good like a certain Atlantic or restoring a loco to mainline standard not putting tin on a duchess and making it look ugly. A4s were always nicer looking and even the SR spams looked better than them when streamlined. Its simple Gresley was an artist in metal.
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Tom,

I think you answer your question about NRM restoring mainline engines in another post - "Oliver Cromwell" is in the National Collection, isn't it? :-)

It would be good to see one of the Ivatt Atlantics running again, and there is a spare boiler - but the Bluebell have their own ideas about what to do with that (they're building a "Brighton Atlantic" which wa based on the Ivatt C1 design and looks similar).

I think it could be quite a sight with the streamlined Duchess next to the A4. Two of the best designs from two of Britain's best 20th Century designers, right there next to each other as you enter the NRM...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

As long as they are seen next to each other in York Station not in the NRM 'dead' as they were befor the streamlining. The Bluebell atlanic project sounds good I remember seeing a article about it a few months ago but a 3 suffix is not a 6 realy. It would be good to see what ever livery they paint it in but I'd prefer an Early BR one then the cheeky ones of us with photshop could make a few tweeks to photos 3 in 6 hmmmmmmmmm :lol:
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Has anyone heard anything of the C4 Jersey Lilly Atlantic project? Last I heard they where hunting for drawings and an 04 boiler but not heard anything since. After the A1 is finally nearing completion what locos can we hope for next? A P2 maybe? I can but dream.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I heard a rumour that they the A1 group might tackle a P2, but it was just that a rumour. I suspect they'll have a lot on their hands with "Tornado" for the first few years of operation.

For other new builds, there's a Clan, an F5/F6 (forget which off hand), and a G5 all under construction.

Haven't heard anything new about the Jersey Lilly - it sounded like they still needed a lot of research, and a lot of work to put a proposal together.

As for that size locomotive, I think a similar argument could probably be made for a Raven C7 (NER Class Z) or a NBR C10/C11.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

I would personally like to see a new V1/V3
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Hehe I proberbly just being stupid but a U1 would be nice
But I think a P2 is a good choice as is a V1/V3 I'd like to put forward the case of the L1 tank
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I think a P2 would be great with a few modifications to sort out the bugs. i would suggest they used the redesigned front truck (as per the V2) to sort out the problems they had with them and use a modern version of the poppet valve gear of No. 2001 like the guys with the Duke did. Ok it would be totaly impractical on some preserved lines with that huge wheelbase but think of the possibilities on the main line. All that adhesive weight and the acceleration from smaller drivers. They would have to run it up Shap. That would be one in the eye for the Long Meandering and Slow Railway.

Is a U1 that daft? its only two 02 chassis with a big boiler slung in the middle? Not sure where you would run it though lol.
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

U1 daft because as you say where would it run and the more that is said a P2 sounds great. Imagine the Shap trains 21st century style. Duke of Glouchester vs Tornado vs a P2 vs The new build Clan. Who said britain wasn't a leader in the engineering market anymore lets teech the germans how things are made on a grand scale. They make cars we use the past to make an impact. lol.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I'd suggest a J39 as a useful, versatile, new build project.
Tom Quayle wrote:The Germans make cars we use the past to make an impact. lol.
Pfft. Don't believe everything you read about German cars. The Audi A4 2.0T Quattro I've had for the last year has been no paragon of quality (though it drives well enough). When it's trade-in time, I'll be switching back to Italy - how can anyone resist the Alfa Romeo Brera? I'd like to think SNG would have approved (the styling of the A4 [the Pacific, not the Audi!] styling being partly inspired by the contemporary Bugatti, apparently).
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The NRM isn't streamlining Hamilton anyway. It's Steam Railway that's funding it all!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

I knew it was a steam rail appeal but don't you think the money could have been put to a better use
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Most Likely but would the NRM have released another loco for restoration. At least they will get Hamilton back and then they'll be able to tell the story of the race for Speed in the 30's which the LNER won.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Well maybe if they commited the right one. A certain atlantic comes to mind. The other way of looking at it is if more is retored it turely becomes a 'national collection'.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

They have the front of Hamilton done, and she is now Maroon on one side, and black on the other.

see at http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/

and on that, Sutherland did Scarborough today from Derby. The times quoted on Uksteam had 10:00 for York....we got it to 10:39....then 2 charters appeared, one at 10:40 on platform 5...then 10:43...no platform, with platforms 3 & 5 blocked!
then it went to 10:47, then 10:49 and said arrived it came in at 11:00, but the official PMR tours site says 11:30 in York!

For the record, that other Carter Service was on platform 10 (no chance of getting to Scarborough. It was the most horrible Blue Pulmans I've ever seen (anyone else seen this one?) It came out of the North end while we were on platform 4, and it had;
Blue Pulman Pulling
rake of ex Intercity Swallow (with decals removed)
Marroon Buffet car
Rake of Ex Virgin (with the Virgin Removed)
Fragonset Pushing!

Looked horrible!
Attachments
6233-1103-060506-york-4-50%.JPG
(109.44 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk