LNER Coronation Observation Car

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: LNER Coronation Observation Car

Post by sawdust »

James Brodie wrote:Sirs-Try the Carriage department on the NYMR the gentleman there explained to me how the solebar was cut at a slope and the flanges welded onto the inside-(I think)-as he was doing the job. I know now how to build the solebar on my 7mm model to allow for the body to turn in towards at the viewing end.....photo to follow.
Incidently I built the -or building- the Beaver tail first then realised the train was the Silver one!!! Sacre Bleur.
Definitly in line now for a potebtial platform edge white line fellah.
Jim Brodie.
Jim
That was me! When I find time to get my photos of the rebuild to a new photo website I will post a link. Meanwhile some of them can be seen at:
http://share.ovi.com/album/andrew.c.daniel.beavertail

Sawdust.
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

robertcwp wrote:
52D wrote:Yes the rebuilt cars were used on that line and on a Southern Pullman(Devon Belle) if i remember correctly.
The Devon Belle did not use the ex-Coronation cars.

However, the ex-Coronation cars were used by BR prior to rebuilding. Here is one at an unknown location, but believed to be in Scotland:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/ ... 653607671/

Callander and Oban line has been suggested, but this is unconfirmed.
The location of this photo has since been provided to me: Taynuilt on Callander and Oban line. The train is the 7.55am Buchanan Street to Oban in 1957 or 1958.
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

Things are happening again on 1729, which is now at Burton on Trent and not accessible to the public. Started to do some minor frame repairs at the blunt end this week. Nemesis are on with the valences.

Sawdust.
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

My photos of re-streamlining 1729 can now be found here;

https://plus.google.com/u/0/s/coronation%20beavertail

Sawdust.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

That is going to look soooooooooooooooooo good!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

sawdust wrote:Things are happening again on 1729, which is now at Burton on Trent and not accessible to the public.
Really pleased to get the progress update. The photos are really wetting the appetite.

Any idea how the end windows are going to be produced?
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

MikeTrice wrote:
sawdust wrote:Things are happening again on 1729, which is now at Burton on Trent and not accessible to the public.
Really pleased to get the progress update. The photos are really wetting the appetite.

Any idea how the end windows are going to be produced?
Yes Mike, by drape moulding. If the mock ups fit in the openings and look right they will then be used as the basis for the moulds.

Sawdust.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Slightly confused here. Is just one observation car being restored to original beavertail condition, or are two being restored?
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

blackout60800 wrote:Slightly confused here. Is just one observation car being restored to original beavertail condition, or are two being restored?
Just 1729 is being restored to original condition. 1719 has been restored in rebuilt condition.

Sawdust.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

sawdust wrote:Yes Mike, by drape moulding. If the mock ups fit in the openings and look right they will then be used as the basis for the moulds.
Perspex? I seem to recall somewhere the originals were in this material.
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

MikeTrice wrote:
sawdust wrote:Yes Mike, by drape moulding. If the mock ups fit in the openings and look right they will then be used as the basis for the moulds.
Perspex? I seem to recall somewhere the originals were in this material.
Not Perspex (as per original) no but still plastic, although I did find one company that could do glass.

Sawdust.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Does anyone know if the observation car was included in the Coronation only during the Summer timetable, which for example in 1938 did not begin until 4 July, or was it included during the late Spring and early Summer, say May and June, when daylight hours were long?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

robertcwp wrote:Does anyone know if the observation car was included in the Coronation only during the Summer timetable, which for example in 1938 did not begin until 4 July, or was it included during the late Spring and early Summer, say May and June, when daylight hours were long?
Robert,

I thought a quick scan of the public timetables I have would provide a straightforward answer, not quite.

Winter 1937-8 Coronation advert includes a reference to the Observation Car.

May-June 1938 as above. (There is also a photo in East Coast Pacifics at Work showing the full nine-carriage set working in June 1938.)

Summer 1938 as above.

Winter 1938-9 no mention of the Observation Car.
Coronation observation cars Gresley Observer 84.jpg
The above line from a piece in the Gresley Observer No.84 shows why the 1937-8 winter TT advert included the Observation Car. It is interesting that this also shows that Cars did not appear in the set until the proper summer TT in 1939.

I hope this helps.

John
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

JASd17 wrote:
robertcwp wrote:Does anyone know if the observation car was included in the Coronation only during the Summer timetable, which for example in 1938 did not begin until 4 July, or was it included during the late Spring and early Summer, say May and June, when daylight hours were long?
Robert,

I thought a quick scan of the public timetables I have would provide a straightforward answer, not quite.

Winter 1937-8 Coronation advert includes a reference to the Observation Car.

May-June 1938 as above. (There is also a photo in East Coast Pacifics at Work showing the full nine-carriage set working in June 1938.)

Summer 1938 as above.

Winter 1938-9 no mention of the Observation Car.
Coronation observation cars Gresley Observer 84.jpg
The above line from a piece in the Gresley Observer No.84 shows why the 1937-8 winter TT advert included the Observation Car. It is interesting that this also shows that Cars did not appear in the set until the proper summer TT in 1939.

I hope this helps.

John
Thanks, that appears to be the answer. So, an extended period of operation in Autumn 1937 and late Spring/early Summer 1938, but not 1939.