N10 (NER class U) drawings?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul
NER Y7 0-4-0T

N10 (NER class U) drawings?

Post by Paul »

Hi all,

I have an LMS jinty chassis that I would like to try an convert into something from the LNER. Looking through my books it appears the N10 has the same wheelbase (8'0" + 8'6") but I'm having difficulty finding a drawing of this loco so I can see how much ork would be involved.

Does anyone know where I can find a drawing for this class?

Thanks,
Paul.
Paul
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Paul »

Actually scratch that I've found a rough drawing but I'm still a bit confused as to what the trailing wheel/bogie looks like. Does anyone know how and where this was attached to the rest of the chassis?

Closeup photographs seem a bit thin on the ground unfortunately.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Isinglass do drawings of a lot of LNER locos. I cant see one listed on their website but it may be worth an enquiry.

http://www.edgson.net/isinglass
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

There is a bare outline drawing of a NER class U, LNER class N10, in Ken Hoole's "Illustrated History of NER Locomotives". This would be of little help to a modeller except in desperation.

The trailing wheels are not a pony truck like, for example, on the front of a Mogul. It is a radial axle. That is, it has axle boxes that allow the rear axle to pivot. This would be difficult to model if you want it to go round unrealistically tight curves like set-track, so just provide a rear pony truck instead.

Colombo
Paul
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the help, I'll try and get some better pictures of the rear axle before I commit to anything.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I can't remember if I posted a picture of my Connoisseur Models N10 here previously (I checked the "Model Railways" section but couldn't see anything, though I was sure I had).

So, at the risk of being repetitive, here it is -
Attachments
69109a.jpg
Connoisseur Models N10
(95.03 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Paul
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Paul »

Very nice Bullhead, do you have any other pictures of it?